Holdsworth (model not known)

rcmacc

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,
I recently got an old road bike which I am hoping to do up and use next summer. It doesn't have a badge attached but it has a metal holdsworth badge to go on and an old gran sport rear mech (it has a gran sport nuevo fitted at the moment). The previous owner had the bike as the 2nd owner from new and said they painted it green from the original baby pink colour. i have scraped some green paint off the fork and it does appear to have a pink colour underneath.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127390527@N04/

Can anyone help with identifying the model number and any advice on what should be done to get it cleaned up etc. I am considering a respray but don't know how much it will cost and not sure if leaving it in it's current state adds a bit of authenticity.

what's your thought?

Richie (Central Scotland)

Re: Holsworth (model not known)

Classy looking 50's bike. Cyclone / Typhoon / Zephyr model range rings a bell. Way before my time but someone will be here soon. Well worth putting back into shape :D

Shaun

Don't think it's a Cyclone ( staring at one right now) but think Shaun's on the right track.....going for Zephyr

It looks pretty authentic to me at he moment.
When I had my Cyclone repainted at Argos in Bristol recently an exquisite paint job with lug lining etc came to about 270. Mine had other problem though that needed sorting so it became even more expensive. A nice basic single colour respray is about £160.
You're lucky to have a bike like that and a respray would make it look stunning but it is an investment.....

Re:

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to use the bike and I'm a bit worried that if I get a nice respray I would be reluctant to use it. on the other hand, I got the bike free so spending 2 or 300 to get it looking a bit better..... mmm decisions. Anyone got photos or links to what the handlebar tape should be.

Re:

Well, I have decided to get a full re-spray on the bike and hopefully will have it baack in a couple of weeks.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127390527 ... 617408020/

To try and do the bike justice, I think I will have to replace some of the chrome parts and was looking for some advice.
The headset has "stronglight" stamped on it but I'm not sure if this was the original or not.
The seatpost bolt was a rusty steel bolt with metric thread so I know it wasn't original. Does anyone know where to get an original replacement.
Pedals are MKS AR -1 and I'm not sure if they are original or not.

Thanks in advance

Richie

Re:

That's a nice looking frame; I look forward to seeing it built up.

A Stronglight headset may well be original, or at least authentic and period correct; it depends on the type. The MKS pedals will be more modern; '80s perhaps. Velobase is the place to look when trying to date components; I suggest that you take a look on there. As for seatpost bolts, I would try bike jumbles and Ebay although some of the new ones can look reasonably authentic.

Well, i bit the bullet and went for a respray. Got it back today and chuffed with the paint job. I decided for blue and cream with gold lugs. Just need to get the components on but now thinking about getting them re-chromed. Can't do anything but recommend the service and quality from Very Cherry Kustom paint in Glasgow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127390527 ... 985713095/

Back