ID help needed: 15 old 'sit up and beg' bikes 1950/60's

mrgumby

rBotM Winner
morning retrobikers.. I recently acquired ( along with a lot of other stuff) 15 vintage 'sit up and beg' (?) style bikes.

I know pretty much zero about these and would really appreciate any info anyone can shed on them. I will be selling them all on eventually so any idea of price would be great too. They may all be worthless but it would be great to know if there are any gems in amongst them, all I can see is a gigantic tidal wave of heavy steel frames, sturmey archer and rod brakes..

so, here goes with the photos

1) RUDGE (B66 brooks saddle) single speed

2) B.S.A. (all black) rims and hub painted black.

3) Triumph (Rustbucket)

4) Sachs Torpedo Hub

5) Splitter - 1971 3 speed HUB

6) BSA (BSA 3speed hub-gear rear wheel)

7) Raleigh! front dynohub 1960 3 speed SA rear hub

8 ) SUN

9) "Possible Post Office/ Pashley - Robbied196" single speed

10) "RALEIGH" on down tube B33 brooks saddle

11) "B.S.A. - Robbied196" 1963 date on SA hub -

12) "Raleigh - Robbied196" - Norman badge - 1991 SA hub - Heron crank ???

13) "ELSWICK" (Lamp Bracket) brooks 'B2' saddle

14) "Raleigh Superbe - Robbied196" - good condition

15) "French - Robbied196"

You are right, they are all worthless and I'll give you £1 each :)

14 looks like a Raleigh Superbe, 12 is a Raleigh, 11 is a BSA, 9 Possible Post Office, 15 looks French, 4 & 10 look most interesting, 13 is a nice loop frame, probably nothing you haven't already worked out. There must be some head badges and frame numbers amongst this lot?

Ebay or Brightwells auctions will tell you what they are worth :)

Edit I'd guess 1930s to 1960s

9 does look like an old post office bike. I came across a few BITD, everything on them was a bit different, the theory was that if you couldn't mend them they were not worth nicking LOL

Interesting patterns of chainwheels, much more interesting than a 5 arm 130BCD LOL

GLWTS

Shaun

BITD (1949 - 55/56) my mother had a bike that looked very much like no.4 - her bike was an Elswick but - on the other hand - my memory is is not my strongest feature :facepalm:

You might be better to take closer pics of your bikes.
In order to see the details. (Background = 80% of your photos, old property, but you not selling that I guess; )

A couple are interesting in the sense of being known, but most pics don't tell us much. (Too general)
There is a market for this type of vintage stuff, but you probably best to put them on ebay with some close up photos & just explain you know nothing much about them.
You will get the 'market price' for them that way. IE Anything rare & good will get bids. The rest will get what they deserve.

That's my opinion anyway: )

Thanks all for valuable input.

I took the original pics in hi-resolution as i was unloading the lorry, so i could resize them and upload again to photobucket for better images. I had 65 bikes in all so it was hard enough just to move them without taking the pics...!

I'll see if i can get some close ups of 4 and 10..

Thanks so much

Matt

They are nice old bikes. They will need a lot of work. There's a Rudge, a Pashley, a Raleigh and an Elswick.

I would be happy with £20 each if I sold them, though you might get more on Ebay. They're likely to be too heavy to be carried by Parcelforce so posting them will cost, and stripping them to the extent that they'll fit in a bike box will be a bit of a logistical challenge.

Not that I mean to put you off, don't think you'll be able to retire on the proceeds of selling them. People pay good money for interesting old bikes, but they have to be good enough. Those will all run to serious cash to fix up.

Back