Raleigh Record Sprint

smokeysmoo

Retro Newbie
I recently bought this bike with the intention of doing a minimal resto job on it, however, what started out as being a sympathetic and low cost resto ending up becoming a needs must do whatever it takes to make it useful resto/conversion!

From front to back we have:

Midge On-One bars in gold to mimic the original gold bars. (original bars were far to narrow for me).

105 SPD-SL pedals. Re-cycled and refurbished off my lads bike.

New seatpost from Decathlon. (the stock one was too short and very heavily scratched).

San Marco Ponzi saddle. (original saddle was battered)

105 8 Speed rear mech. (original rear mech was FUBAR).

Front mech is the original Sach Huret one at the moment, but I do need to source an 8 speed one to eliminate some chain rub I'm getting.

Rose Xtreme Airline/Tiagra wheelset. (frame has been cold set to accept these modern wheels, so it's future proofed as well.

Schwalbe Lugano tyres. Cheap enough yet well regarded.

The frameset has also been Waxoyled internally to hopefully ensure it's good for many more years, and all the inner cables have been replaced along with the BB and brake pads.

I've changed the original cassette for an 11-28 8 speed one and fitted a new KMC X8 chain as well.

I'll be putting some guards on for the winter, (Tortec Reflectives @ £25 from Geoff Smith Cycles). I might fit new decals at some point, but I'm struggling to bring myself to pay £18 for a set TBH.

I'm very pleased with how it's turned out, it's cost far more than I anticipated it doing, but then again far less than other resto's I've done as well.

My pics are too big too upload so here's a link to them instead; http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/jblea ... t=3&page=1

Re:

20140830_125414_zps69f45865.jpg

tasteful mods. too many of these end up losing their identity but you did it right.

Hi, was this bike put up for sale?, I seem to recall a very similar bike on EBay I think?.......Very nice resto by the way!!!.......Seanie

Back