My Shorter - more pics page 2

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Bought this Shorter off eBay a few months back, and it was already in pretty good nick. But to give it a bit of extra bling, I've renewed the bar tape, hoods, saddle, wheels, tyres and brake and gear levers. All easy stuff, the drivetrain was already top Campag stuff. Don't know much about its vintage, Shorter (unlike Carlton, Raleigh etc.) isn't a brand with a lot of published history on the web, but I'd guess somewhere between mid 70's and mid 80's perhaps. If anybody knows any different perhaps they could fill me in. Anyway, I think its all ready for some summer classics.

Attachments

• DSCF1555.JPG
    DSCF1555.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 886
  • DSCF1556.JPG
    DSCF1556.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 885
  • DSCF1557.JPG
    DSCF1557.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 885
  • DSCF1558.JPG
    DSCF1558.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 886
  • DSCF1559.JPG
    DSCF1559.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 886
Re: My Shorter - ready for summer

Lovely - and totally pristine by the look of it!

I thought I was doing a pretty good job on my Ian May late '80s racer, but this is almost concourse...

Thanks, but to be fair, it was in pretty good condition already when I got it, it certainly wasn't an eBay 'bargain find'. I haven't had to do anything to the frame other than some light polishing - more maintenance than restoration :)

Alter the bars mate! They are freaking me out pointing up like that! :(

Nice by the way.

Ian Raleigh":24eh2rta said:
Alter the bars mate! They are freaking me out pointing up like that! :(
Nice by the way.

Maybe they could shift down a bit further, but it's a position designed for me and I'm unique. You're easily freaked out I'd say :)

Re:

That is so nice. '80's paint schemes have always been a bit of a closed book for me, but I love the colours and the design.

Just give me a shout if you need someone to look after it for you...

Thanks Goldie, but I intend to be a careful owner for some years yet.
One more pic for good measure though.

Attachments

• DSCF1560.JPG
    DSCF1560.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 777
Re:

Lovely steed, do you know if it was built by Barry chick? Maybe check the serial number with the Shorter shop? Either way it's a great looking frame and love the colour

No, don't know who that is, but will check out the serial number. Haven't bothered before now, but wouldn't mind finding out how old it is.

Also shifted the bars down a bit to keep the authenticity guru's happy :cool:

Lovely bike, these were around late seventies early 80s. Alf Engers time trialled on one , so he was a good advertisement for Shorter. As a general rule the end of the bars should be 90 degrees to the head tube, but its down to preference really.

Back