1954 wearwell tour de france?

newportbikeco

Retro Newbie
I recently picked up a wearwell frame and I have no idea what it really is I was told it was either a 1951 tdf or a 1954 tdf but I'm not really sure what it is as it had been resprayed at some point in its life. It doesn't have a serial number only 622 on the seat tube lug which i'm assuming means they are stainless.

it takes a 27.2 seat post if thats any help identifying it.

I think the tubing may be stainless as well but then it might be 531 as most wearwells were.

it weighs 1.7kg which i thought was pretty light for a frame of its age.

if you know anything about these frames could you get me know as i really want to rebuild it

IMAG0008_zps7035dc2d.jpg

IMAG0007_zpsef99042a.jpg

the heat marks are from the seat post it had seized into the frame when i got it and there was no other way to get it out.

IMAG0012_zpsc6fb4ea7.jpg

Hi, Interesting frame, I'm not a Wearwell expert ( there will be a VCC expert if you are a member ), but those lugs are interesting, they look like faux Nervex , similar to Nervex pro, but not quite ( Sun and Claud Butler were doing there own thing at the time ), and I can't recall any serie legere lugs like that. Don't be surprised by the weight, good quality tubing ( 531, A&P ) was available from the thirties, the 27.2 points to 531 db. Good luck, it looks in good shape. Terry

It doesn't look like stainless to me. It's not bright enough and you wouldn't get those dark bits of pitting. 1.7kg is about right for Reynolds 531 and 27.2mm is a 531 seat tube. Now, a few things to confuse you further... 1) I wouldn't expect to see brazed-on shifter bosses or cable guides on a 1950's frame. 2) Nor would I expect to see an integrated derailleur hanger on the drop-out (though I could be wrong on this point), so I think it's a lot later than 1950's. 3) Isn't 622 also the ERTO standard for a 700c wheel? Could be the wheel size.

Hi, from this distance I'm guessing Benelux dropout and brazon, I have them on my 1952 Sun, so thereabouts. Some manufacturers did use the seat lug for there serial numbers, i.e. Evans. Terry

I thought it might be stainless because its been outside for at least 20 years and there isn't spot of rust on it the paint was in terrible condition mind.

I was told it was a either a 1951 or a 1954 tour de France bike but the girl I bought it off didn't really seem to know it could have a been a tour of Britain bike which would make more sense, i was given a bucket of parts that were off the bikes there might be something in there that will give a better idea of when its from, not that it really matters it's the nicest frame i've owned.

it does have benelux dropouts, so it might be hard for me to find a modern-ish derailleur for it and i have the original down tube shifter it's got the gold benelux cap on it.

I'm going to say its probably the tour of britain frame on here and having been given a set of wheels that I thought were nothing to do with the bike with airlite hubs and apparently that bike came with airlites so i think thats that sorted.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ ... rwell8.htm

I just need to pick a colour for it now and break out the spray gun.

Also has anyone got any experience in tapping a m10x24 into a benelux dropout?

i'm not one for building bikes back up as they were i just like bikes that look nice.

give me a week and i'll get it painted and get some nice pictures.

Back