2001 : KHS Flite 500.. 1st Road Bike!

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've finally done it!, after 20 odd years of riding mountainbikes I've bought my first road bike (not counting the old 5speed green Raleigh racer I used to do my paper round on when I was 13) :eek:

A KHS Flite 500, will be getting delivered next week, not sure how retro it is? or if it's even retro at all??? I know KHS from their mountainbike range, and the reviews I could find on the Flite 500 seemed good so I went for it.

I know it is 8-speed, triple chainring up front, has some Sora parts on it, a Shimano 600 rear mech, and Sun MZ14 rims on Sora hubs, and that's about it.

I'll be using it for a bit of training on the road, and some nice long rides :)
Going by the paint & decals it's not a recent model, can anyone shed any light on the date/ kit on the bike?

Few pics from the seller...

Re: KHS Flite 500.. 1st Road Bike!

Looks to be from around 2001

Cost new was $750

This was the original specification

Frame Construction............................TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material........................7005 aluminum, double-butted
Fork Brand & Model.............................Kinesis
Fork Material.......................................Aluminum, sloping crown

Components
Component Group................................Road Mix
Brakeset...............................................ProMax Dual Pivot brakes, Shimano Sora STI Dual Control levers
Shift Levers...........................................Shimano Sora STI Dual Control
Front Derailleur ....................................Shimano Sora, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
Rear Derailleur.....................................Shimano Sora
Crankset..............................................Shimano Sora, 30/42/52 teeth
Pedals..................................................Aluminum w/clips & straps
Bottom Bracket....................................TH Sealed bearing cartridge, 118mm spindle
BB Shell Width......................................68mm English
Rear Cogs............................................8-speed, 12 - 25 teeth
Chain...................................................KMC Z-82, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost..............................................Aluminum micro-adjust
Saddle.................................................KHS Padded
Handlebar ...........................................Anatomic drop bar
Handlebar Stem...................................Hsin Lung aluminum
Headset...............................................1" Tien Hsin

Year 200 was rust coloured
2001 was blue
2002 was yellow
2003 was white with black/red

As a fellow mtb'er turned roadie, prepare you cv system for a shock :shock:

I'm having a great time road riding, and it really helps my stamina when riding off road.

Enjoy!

Neil, that's the idea really, to get in some road riding which will hopefully pay dividends when it comes to the off-road riding.

Unfortunately it means I have yet another bike, and from the looks of it roadie stuff can be bloody expensive! :shock: :facepalm:

First thing to do is buy some lycra shorts I guess :LOL:

Jersey's of questionable taste can be had for next to nothing on the bay, a decent base layer is an advantage, and as my legs are not for public consumption, I tend to ride in 3/4 bib knickers. It is also worth getting some road shoes, as they are stiffer and narrower than mtb shoes. I have a very pretty pair of Fizik R3's which I got given as they did not fit my son, or the bloke he bought them from for £80.

You can really infuriate (some) serious roadies by riding in your mtb helmet, complete with peak. Gloves, glasses etc are all pretty common stuff.

One bit of safety advice: Get the brightest, most dazzling flashing rear LED light and use it every single time you ride. Some car drivers are completely oblivious to cyclists, and a nice bright flashing light does tend to get their attention, especially if you angle it correctly ;) .

I am really enjoying my road riding. I try to get out every other evening, and am working myself progressively harder. I also have.... ermmm, a Garmin :oops: It is really useful for recording ride distances and times, but if you have a fancy phone, you can download something called and ape, or is that an app, that does the same thing.

The first thing you will notice is how far and how fast you can ride, in comparison to an mtb.

Welcome to a whole new world of bike riding.

Errr... there is an update coming very soon.

Suffice it to say that things (pretty much everything :facepalm: ) have changed...

The bike has had an overhaul over the winter, I think the only thing remaining the same is the frame :facepalm:
Anyway, for a training bike and sunday rider it does what I ask of it...

Frame:2001 KHS Flite 500 Aluminium

Fork: 1" Carbon

Headset: Cane Creek SC2
Stem: Ritchey Pro
Handlebar: ITM Carbon/Alu
Bar Tape: Deda

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Sora 8Spd
Brake Calipers: Sram Rival
Brake Pads:Clarks
Brake Cables: Jagwire Lex-SL

Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sora
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: Shimano 8Spd 11-30T
Chain: KMC 8Spd
Cranks: Sram GXP carbon
Chainrings: FSA 50/34T
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP
Pedals:Shimano SPD-SL

Rims:Shimano WH-R550
Hubs: Shimano
Hub Skewers: eBay specials
Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro

Saddle: Scott
Seatpost:Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Hope

Bottle Cage: eBay carbon special

Weight: 21lb

Looks good.

I would still advise a rear light though, you really need to make sure people are aware of you.

I have recently discovered Moon Comet lights, they are USB rechargeable and are nice and bright.

I do use a rear light when I am on the bike, but at the moment it's fitted to my MTB that I use for work on weekdays (hence not pictured) , I recalled your advice from last year and use the rear light even in daylight, one less excuse for a motorist to say "I didn't see you"...

I'll look into those Moon Lights, can the Comet version be mounted vertically along the seatpost?

Back