Colnago CT1 repair

Milesalex

Retro Newbie
Hello, new member here.
Recently discovered this website and loving it.

I was hoping for some advice on my Colnago CT1 frame, the rear dropouts have coroded as far as the actual insert into the carbon fibre frame. One side is okay the other looks bad and not sure if this is repairable. Has anyone had this problem and more importantly can it be restored?

Any replies will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Miles

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 2,632
I've heard of this happening before (though only on forums). I've got a CT2 and my plan is this happens to mine, it'll go to someone like Burls / Pretorius and have the carbon rear end replaced with Ti. Won;t be original, but won't happen again...

Thanks guys, I'm taking it to Atlantic Boulevard in Bury tomorrow which is fairly local to me.
Let you know how I get on.

Very common problem with all older Colnago frames (C40, some C50 and CT frames). Colnago just replaced the entire rear carbon section, but you can also have just the rear dropouts replaced by a carbon repair expert.

Yes i've heard of similar problems through a chum, Norris Lockley who used to build frames in Settle N yorks, and was UK distributor for the 1980's carbon TVT & successors RBE ,They had similar issues caused he said by a build up of salt corroding and a capillary action up into the stays.. he spoke to the factories in France about it and they could sort it at a cost.. those 2 companies have now gone and their bones formed Look And Time.. definitely a job for someone who knows carbon and layups.. will

Quick update,
I'm picking the frame up from the repair shop on Saturday, the lug has been beed blasted and re-built up with a composite material, then sprayed.
Apprantly the damage was not as extensive as first thought. Hopefully it will be okay.

Will post a picy.

Thanks guys

@Milesalex

I've recently got a C40 as a project with EXACT same issue.

Could you share your experience and perhaps a picture of the repair job?

My impression is that a good frame builder would be able to replace dropouts and smooth out corrosion whilst trying to spray and blend paint job.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks!

Re:

I had the dropout repaired by Atlantic Boulevard in Bury, they used an industrial filler to replace the corroded layers and re-sprayed. This was the cheapest option and has been fine since, I never got a quote for replacing the dropout was on a tight budget.
I've rode about 5000 miles with no problems, apart from some paint coming of with the wheel skewers which is no surprise.

Hope this helps.....

My impression is that a good frame builder would be able to replace dropouts and smooth out corrosion whilst trying to spray and blend paint job.

Don't think quite so simple - the good frame builder needs to have good experience with composite / Ti combinations or he might make a bodge. Bit like the time I dropped the ladder as a kid getting a ball off the roof and fixed it with wood glue. Luckily my dad was only 2 rungs up when it went...

A good Ti welder might not know enough about Composites and vice versa. The market for independent Ti / Composite combinations, outside of F1 / Moto GP type applications is pretty small. In fact someone like FTR who build Moto 2 bikes might be a good shout. I think they're based in the UK. Of course, they may not be interested, but may be able to point you in a good direction.

I'm not aware of anyone building Ti/Composite bicycle frames in the UK?

Back