1983 Henry Burton

Kalum

Dirt Disciple
Spurred on by the Tour de France and the London Olympics, in July this year I set out looking for my first road bike. After months of missing eBay auctions, being out bid and a sale falling though i finally landed my hands on a bike two days ago.

Spotted on Preloved locally I took the plunge and made arrangements to view the bike. Kindly the seller was kind enough to bring the bike to me due to my lack of car.

From the moment I was helping the seller get the bike out of the boot of his car I fell in love.

8185027547_6b1b157b1a_b.jpg

It had the perfect amount of "Usedness". The stickers may be peeling and cracked and the paint is slightly chipped in places but it just added to the character of the bike.

8185050520_88a69e1807_b.jpg

So, I paid. We shook hands. The bike was mine. I was exstatic. The colour, the bars. It was perfect, but most importantly, it was mine!

8185021025_d8588c0488_b.jpg

Its a 12 speed with a bit of a mix of components.

Sachs Huer Rear Derailleur
Shimano Fe Front Derailleur
Shimano 6 Speed cassette on Shimano VIA Hubs
Weinmann Centre pull brakes
27 1 1/4 wheels with mix matched rims
An unknown crankset (I'm assuming not original)

8185046224_dd5a501d92_b.jpg

8185052186_1a9cbd95b4_b.jpg

8185055160_4e91f5deb1_b.jpg

I also took her back to her spiritual home at Henry Burton Cycles that's still here in Stafford
Unfortunately they were closed, but through the window I did see a bike that was oddly familiar but it wasn't mine.

8186499528_ae9cee8948_b.jpg

The lug shape, frame colour, even down to the chrome tipped forks it was the same! It was built up with modern components and retailing for £500!

8186503892_e50fb56ee6_b.jpg

That all from me. Now its time for the next chapter in the bikes life. Its in my hands and its going to get a lot of love.

Thanks for reading. Kalum.

Thanks, I will.

Had her on the scales today. Weighs a respectable 13kg. Which in my eyes is a lightweight compared to my 15kg 'Charity Shop Special' Mtb.

Thats a nice looking bike. Looks better than it is if you know what I mean.

Crank is an SR Custom and about the same era as the bike so I see no reason why in would not be original.

Bit quicker than your mtb by any chance? :D

Ah, Thanks for that Tel.

With it just saying custom on the cranks a very quick Google didn't come up with any results.

I know what you mean. And yeah, It rides a damn sight quicker than the mtb.

I haven't had it on a long run yet, just to uni and back a few times but what I love most is the lack of tyre noise. It rolls with very little resistance.

I think its definitely a keeper!

Latest posts

Back