A mystery of the 27" 10 speed variety.

Retro_10s

Dirt Disciple
Well, this is my first road bi-cycle, It came up on eBay for an hour and I somehow knew that I was fated to own it, Sure enough i clicked 'buy it now' (£30) and picked it up the next day :roll:

Un-branded and covered in dust and dirt, I was pretty excited about picking it up :LOL:

As of yet, I don't know what make the frame is,.. the only give away that i may have found is the fork tops have a pronged design.. i can only find a photo of these on Schwinn Bikes,.. but I'm doubtful that my frame is a Schwinn (hopeful though!) any thoughts? Spec is as follows:

Frame - Re-sprayed and unbranded/de-badged/unsure! - 130mm rear dropouts
Drop bars - Sakae Road champion with Shimano levers.
Derailleur and shifters - Sachs Huret.
Rims - 27x1.1/4 Rigida Superchromix with braking pattern.
Hubs - Maillard.
Brake Calipers - Unbranded.

DSC_1061copy.jpg

DSC_1058copy.jpg

DSC_1057copy.jpg

DSC_1059copy.jpg

DSC_1062copy.jpg

So progress so far has been slow after the initial burst of building it up, I soon realised it would need some rubber, so i bought some 'get it on the road quick before the sun leaves us' tyres, which arrived, amber walls, cost £20 a pair. Bought some new brake pads, stripped down the hardware, cleaned and re-built it. I will need to get a new cable for the rear brakes due to the usual fraying that happens.

Nooooow then, the trouble begins! I have had to halt to consider options,.. The rims themselves have seen better days but I quite like them, and the noise the brakes made when operated thanks to the rigida rim surface is.. nostalgic i guess. After stripping cleaning and rebuilding the hubs up (which are very smooth!) I noticed the rear wheel was bent, so I have had it trued... perfect now however something would appear to be wrong on the rear wheel! :cry:

When fitting the rear wheel the wrong way round it fits between the seat stays perfectly and the chainstays. However when fitted correctly it will not line up in-between the seat stays! Is this symptomatic of an incorrectly dished wheel? I have adjusted the rim as far as i can using the spokes but there is not enough adjustment there. My chain line would appear slightly suspect too... >? hmmm.

DSC_1060copy.jpg

Where can i go from here? I would love to keep the rims,... but i need the bicycle to be cost effective, therefore I think it could be a better course of action to just buy two new wheels,.. I would like to stick with the 5 speed rear wheel if possible. (The Regina bx/cx is soo quite, impressive for what it is.)

I have to admit, my head is spinning in circles, i can see potential here but I'm in unfamiliar waters :(

Is there a stack of chunky washers on the drive side axle? If so, does taking one off the drive side and moving it over to the non drive side move the wheel into the correct position?

Don't worry too much about the chainline - it looks like you're on the inner front ring and the outermost rear ring, which will always give a fairly steep angle. To keep the drive train happy, you could stick to only using the two smallest rear cogs when you're on the big ring at the front.

The frame looks a bit Falcon-ish.

thanks for the reply, There are no removable washers on either side of the hub, just the cones and locknuts. As you can see, the drive side spokes are practically flat whilst the other side is nicely bowl shaped, i don't think i have any adjustment left.

My concern is that if I purchase some new wheels would the same happen? would they need to be dished aftersales?

Falcon frame eh? i'll google them and see if i can get a match or something close :)

The brakes on mine are identical to the ones on yours, right down to a very similar number stamped in the same place. Mine have a washer on stamped Raleigh Foreign.

I Believe they are Dia Comp Side pulls

Here are mine:

p1030682t.jpg

P1030764.jpg

Knew i had seen this type of fork before. The bike fits the bill for a Fuji Sports 10 apart from the 3 braze on cable guide..... Can we have a pic of the front of the head tube?

There looks to be a big gap between the 5th cog and the frame. I would say there's a spacer in there that's to wide. Fitting a smaller one looks like you could shift the wheel centre over 1/4+"

The fact that its so far out would suggest they are not the original wheels.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals! :cool:

I think the best thing for me to do is strip the rear hub down etc and see what i can find.

I really like the rigida braking pattern on these rims, but i think these wheels have seen too many bumps scrapes and use in the wet to really be used confidently so some new ones are on the cards,... is there anything i need to watch out for since it's a 5 speed? can i re-use the cassette/freewheel/whatever it is or will it need re-newing?

So the frame maybe a peugeot or fuji then? excuse my ignorance of bike terminoligy,.. someone asked for a photo of the head tube,.. would this be the tube that the handlebar stem is inserted into?

Back