1980 Alan Super fix wheel

chipper

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Pretty much always had a fix wheel machine of some sort,in the 70t's I rode to school on a 64" fixed ,when everyone else had choppers and 10 speeds . Anyway the love/hate relationship I was having with my most recent fixie,a modern welded steel effort , degenerated into a hate/hate relationship , the ride was just to harsh and the steering too twitchy , so I got shot of it. Now I needed a replacement fast ,and in time honored retrobike style , this meant a visit to the shed to see what I could build from the assortment of bits therein .
Now the only viable frame I could find was this lovely, but flawed , Alan Super .I acquired it from one of the Dutch contingent on the forum a while back, very cheaply because it had "issues", namely a crack in the lower head lug and seat lug , not a problem at the time as it also came with a nice pair of forks and a panto'd campag seatpost , the 2 items I needed to complete an Alan carbino project :D (now gone). As it doesn't take long to build up a fixie ,I thought I would give it a try, I mean what's the worst that could happen? ;)
In an attempt to repair the head lug crack ( the head tube is OK) I fitted a cheap i.e loose fitting headset into the frame, using slow setting arildite to bond the alloy cups into the frame , in the hope that this will at least keep things together . I should point out that I will only be using this bike for short local rides !

Frame: 1980 Alan Super 60cm/59cm c t c ,gear lever bosses removed

Fork: 531 steel unknown make rattle can alloy wheel silver paint

Headset:YST alloy cartridge bearings
Stem:Cinelli 1a 11cm
Handlebar:3tt 44cm coke can shim
Bar Tape:Ambrosia original

Brake Levers. Modolo speedy
Brake Calipers:Campag Chorus mono planer
Chain:KMC 1/8 th
Cranks:Campag N/R 170 strada
Chainrings:Campag N/R 44t
Bottom Bracket:Miche campag copy with the axle switch round to give better chain line
pedals. Welgo
rims. mavic / ambrosia silver HP
hubs. system ex 32h
spokes.S/S DT
tyres. schwalbe stelvio plus

13112011234.jpg

13112011227.jpg

13112011235.jpg

Actually rides surprising well ,and the cracks haven't got bigger! (not that I'm paranoid or anything ),the other surprise was how well the mono planer brakes stop .

Handsome as you like. Isn't it weird though how the crack's followed the engraved laurel branch and the "L" - common sense tells you they couldn't possibly weaken the lug...

Me, myself 'lost' two ALAN's in the past due to such cracks. One simular to this and one in the bottembracket area. At that time (80's) there was al lifetime garantuee. And perfectly solved by ALAN in Italy. But my confidence in this brand was gone.
By the way, the front fpork in this picture is not a ALAN fork. ;)

Back