Massi Master

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just picked this up from my dad's shed - it's been sat there for 3 years or so.

Massi Master frame, Columbus Gara tubing, in a rather fetching purple>blue >purple fade with chromed stays and forks.
Most of a Campag Mirage groupset - unfortunately I toasted the front Mavic SUP CXP30 rim in a drain cover about 5 years ago, so it has a Mavic Open Sport rim on a Specialized hub.

The frame was bought from my sister's ex, who is from the Catalan region of France. And built up from my dad's spares bin (Yeah, he's got a nice selection of spares!) Massi are, AFAIK, a Spanish company. But that's as far as my knowledge about the bike goes. No idea on age, or original kit.

Cool internal rear brake routing............

Took it out for a shakedown ride last night. Been a while since I was on a proper road bike (my SS Pompino doesn't really count!) Took a while to get used to the 20c tyres and the 52/42 gearing - my last bike ride was on an MTB with 1x9 gearing and 2.4 tyres :LOL: somewhat different ride.

Love it, very fast and whippy. Really likes to be sprinted!

Cheers :D I've never seen another one. I think they are better known in the MTB world, but pretty much only in Europe.

Just had a look at their website, and they (along with everyone else in the bike industry it seems) have gone down the fairly generic carbon framed route. Pretty standard looking bikes anyway.

Gara was/is a touring tubeset normally isn't it? Not ultra lightweight, but as I'm in the wrong side of 13 stone, and am used to stomping on the pedals of SS MTBs then that suits me fine!

ajantom":izkopyy2 said:
Gara was/is a touring tubeset normally isn't it? Not ultra lightweight, but as I'm in the wrong side of 13 stone, and am used to stomping on the pedals of SS MTBs then that suits me fine!

Yes, Gara was aimed more at the sporting and touring market rather than performance. It's a plain gauge tubeset, not double-butted. The tubes have a thickness of 0.8mm throughout if I remember correctly.

It's pretty strong stuff else It wouldn't be able to handle the heavy loads of touring. It's not giving too much weight away compared to say Columbus SL, maybe 250g heavier which is like the weight of half a bottle of coca cola.

Lovely - the purple / blue-grey / purple fade looks very nice. I've got an early nineties British Eagle mountain bike with a greeen / yellow fade paint job that looks - even though I like the bike - pretty unpleasant. This looks great though!

Now, I really must have a word with my dad about his failure to leave exotic racing bikes in his shed...

Lovely bike, any idea of the year?

Trying to find out a bit about a vintage Massi I picked up recently myself. A bit older than this one though.

Back