raleigh olympus

dandan1

Retro Newbie
does anyone have information on the bike, i think it was made in 1978 but im not sure it says raleigh ti tour de france team winners 1977, it has a brooks b18 seat, raleigh gears, dia compe and weinmann brake levers, sturmey archer wheels and a raleigh racing tyre and a michelin tyre. is it worth anything, i found it in front of my neighbours tip and he said i could have it so i took it home and cleaned it up and it rides perfect.
any information appreciated, thanks dan

P1010916.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic. It certainly brings back memories.

I had an Olympus when I was boy. I recall there were two alternative colur schemes - the blue and a deep metallic red, which I had. The delight on the morning of my birthday when I unpacked it, was one of my abiding childhood memories. (I saved up one third, my parents and grandparents paid the rest. Actually we got it for a 'trade price' as the TI Raleigh Chairman of the time, Tom Barnsley, lived in the same village).

It was towards (or at) the bottom of the table of Raleigh fayre, but provided lots of fun, nontheless.

1978 Sounds about right. I have a 1979 Raleigh which (I think, at work at the moment) notes 1977 and 78 TDF team winners, so if yours just states '1977', a 1978 production sounds right.

Does it fit you? What is the condition - do you intend to change much or just a quick lube and polish?

More pics always welcome,

David

A later model, the earlier examples looked like this:

Olympus.jpg

Its so nice to see some really simple old steel hack from this period.

Keep it as it is!

Love it.

Spokesmann,

That colour scheme looks very familiar - that tallies with mine from circa 1978/79 (ish). Flamenco Red - sounds pretty quick, even now.

That tank-top I refuse to acknowledge looks even remotely familiar...
David

Cossington":2nd21fma said:
Spokesmann,

That colour scheme looks very familiar - that tallies with mine from circa 1978/79 (ish). Flamenco Red - sounds pretty quick, even now.

That tank-top I refuse to acknowledge looks even remotely familiar...
David

The reverse of the colour scheme of the one in the photo was blue Bluemels gaurds with (as you say) Flamenco red frame. This was the bike I had too.

It cost £61.95 in 1976.

I bought one of these new . . .

I bought one of these new when I was a kid with £50 we won on the Premium Bonds!!!

khushy

Back