Help identifying my bike - Atom, 90s road bike

Have you got pictures of where the decals were?

Andy Thompson only built in steel as far as I'm aware. He is a member of this site though.

Re:

There was an ATOM decal going vertically down the seat tube, close to the cross bar (going down). It had been painted over, you could just see it with the eye and I tried to photograph it, but it didn't come out - could try again in better light conditions?

Surosa bikes did sell a model with the exact same frame as your one pictured

Although a dinky frame, it has the same hanger, drop-outs, frame stops etc, just missing the braze on for the front mech.

s-l1600.jpg

And heres another one with the front mech braze on, identical to yours but with mounts for a rack

s-l1600.jpg

Re:

Iirc there was a chap in central Manchester in the 90s building, or marketing 'Atom' frames.. and it was central... Mosley St. or Portland St?

Re: Re:

torqueless":1rmvb05s said:
Iirc there was a chap in central Manchester in the 90s building, or marketing 'Atom' frames.. and it was central... Mosley St. or Portland St?
I think the chap is the same Andy Thomson (hence the name Atom derived from his name) mentioned earlier and I thought it was Stockport rather than Manchester? I think he then built a few frames for Orbit before packing up about twenty years ago.

Re:

I thought it was Stockport rather than Manchester? I think he then built a few frames for Orbit before packing up about twenty years ago.
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, there was definitely a (work)shop in central Manchester for a while. It might have been short-lived, and probably not many more years ago than twenty.

colonelorbit":3at9hoci said:
Thanks and no worries - after looking a this and another forum, I was under the impression that Andy Thompson, of Orbit bikes etc, may have made some frames/bikes under the Atom label, but am happy to be corrected - it could be that a seller, to the previous owner, had some Atom decals and passed the bike off as a bit more special than it was (?)

Absolutely nothing to do with me. Not guilty! ;)

Andy

The frame looks like a couple of generic far-Eastern built frames that have come through my workshop -one was unbranded, identical to this, down to the tube profiles, dropouts and brake bridge. The other was a first gen Focus, when they 'made' only one model. Had Ultegra 9 speed on it.

But it could be something from the UK, but I don't know anyone who was building aluminium frames like this in the UK, in the early 90s (which this frame is definitely from).

Back