1950s BUTTED 531 FRAMESET. Nice lugs and detailing. £85.

Wheelnut

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
1950s Reynolds 531 double-butted Frame and Forks. 23in c-t.

This is NOT an RO Harrison but it is still a very nice example of a hand-built 1950s frame. The maker is a mystery.

The lugs are English made (probably by Haden) and of a style popular in the early to mid 1950s. I have a 1953 Ernie Clements using identical lugs.

Frame tubing is 531 double butted and the seatpin size is 27.2mm. The most unusual feature is the hand-made semi-wraparound top-eyes for the seat stays, a style that I have not seen before.

Rear dropouts are forged Cyclo Benelux, with no gear hanger, but a separate hanger can be used of course. Front fork dropouts have extended ends - possibly made by Stallard.

The paintwork is a bit shabby and has a crackled surface. Probably the lacquer coat has reacted with the base coat, but it gives a not unattractive aged effect with plenty of character.

Would build up into a very nice fixed-gear machine.

Looking for £85 for this. Postage extra or collect from South Oxfordshire (Henley) or North Pennines (Alston).

Attachments

• DSC_0130s.jpg
    DSC_0130s.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,189
  • DSC_0025s.jpg
    DSC_0025s.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,189
  • DSC_0017s.jpg
    DSC_0017s.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,189
  • DSC_0015s.jpg
    DSC_0015s.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,190
  • DSC_0125s.jpg
    DSC_0125s.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • DSC_0126s.jpg
    DSC_0126s.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,191
  • DSC_0017s.jpg
    DSC_0017s.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,190
Re: 1950s Butted 531 Frameset

Even allowing for the fact it isn't a Harrison doesn't detract.; a superb looking frame. I wondered with those distinct rear wrapovers whether you've considered going to the V-CC in an attempt to find out its origins.

What is the rear dropout width?

Regards

Shaun

I have shown it to quite a few knowledgeable lightweight enthusiasts but still the identity remains a mystery. It is relatively easy to identify the more well-known marques, but there were scores of bike shops in London alone (in the 1950s) that were too small to produce a brochure and their frames are much harder to identify if nothing remains of the original transfers. The distinctive topeyes are the only real clue.

As you say, it is a nice frame and if it were an inch larger I would keep it.

I am going on a V-CC ride tomorrow so might take it along.

Rear spacing is 120mm, so fine for 4,5 or a slim 6 speed freewheel.

its very nice either way .

Even a frame number is not that helpful as loads of smaller makers used the same format and numbers

Sold to peetee, subject to payment.

Pete, if you see this, give me a call as I can't send PMs right now - messages I try to send go in my outbox but don't get sent, for some strange reason.

Back