1950 Claud Butler 531 frameset 56cm fillet-brazed

lae

Retro Guru
SOLD SOLD SOLD

Up for sale is my 1950 Claud Butler International Club (I'm not certain but it seems to be the consensus on here). I bought it about a year ago and rode it as a fixed gear, but unfortunately the frame is a little bit too small for me to ride comfortably (I took a chance, the seller didn't list the frame size and didn't reply when I asked!).

The frame was delivered to me with about a dozen different layers of paint, which I stripped off. I didn't (and still don't) have the cash for rechroming the fork crown and repainting so I lacquered it with some spare lacquer. The old stem was corroded into the fork steerer so I cut it out with a hacksaw blade. The replacement GB Spearpoint isn't quite period-correct but it looks the part. The lacquer is all chipping off now (I never meant it to be a permanent finish anyway) so it'll need repainting (but you knew that from the photos!).

There is a small dent in the top tube which is pictured below. There are also tiny dings in both chainstays (near the BB), and in one seatstay. The pictures make them look deeper than they really are. The frame has surface rust all over but nothing serious.

Specs are below:
Top tube 23" c-c
Seat tube 23" c-clamp (or 22" c-c)
Standover is 32" with 700c wheels
Front OLN spacing is 95mm (I had to spread the forks just a tiny bit to get a modern wheel in and out)
Rear OLN spacing is 110mm, but it'll take a 120mm wheel without needing cold-setting
1" threaded fork
Pump pegs are approx. 19"
Tubing is, according to the CB catalogue, either 531 or Accles & Pollock chromoly. An old timer stopped me on the road one day and assured me that it was almost certainly 531 (apparently they sound different when you flick the top tube).
The frame number is 505 2920 (so it was made in May 1950)

It comes with:
An aluminium seatpost - tatty but will polish up, it's quite short (about 8") but these frames weren't designed to have much seatpost showing anyway. No stamps or markings.
A GB Hiduminium stem, 3" extension, which is again quite tatty and needs polishing, and a new long bolt. The handlebar clamp bolt is a modern allen-head item which doesn't match aesthetically but works fine. There was also a small crack on the handlebar clamp which I buzzed up with a TIG welder.
Alloy drop bars, 16" wide with a 6.5" drop approx. No stamps or markings on these
What I assume is the original headset, which is gorgeous but needs rechroming
A brass (or brass plated) seatpost clamp (again with a modern allen-head bolt)
The original (I assume) Bayliss-Wiley bottom bracket with Bayliss-Wiley cottered axle. It's got some wear but it's perfectly useable, although it'll need new ball bearings (most are missing after I removed the cotterless axle I was using)

Please note that the wheels are NOT included!

The frame has the following nice features:
CB stamped dropouts
Brass headbadge and seatpost clamp
Double fork crown
Wraparound seatstays
Bottom bracket oiler
Curved brake bridge
Very slim 'pencil' chainstays

dsc00369v.jpg

dsc003710.jpg

dsc00373y.jpg

dsc00374je.jpg

dsc00376d.jpg

dsc00378d.jpg

dsc003800.jpg

dsc00388k.jpg

dsc00391su0.jpg

dsc00394wb.jpg

dsc00398gh.jpg

The price is £100 including delivery. If you want to come and see it or pick it up yourself, I live in Coventry (although from around the 17th Dec. until 10th Jan. I will be in Essex and will *probably* take the frame down with me, but please check with me before). Price will be £80 if you collect it yourself (which is what I'd prefer; the condition of vintage parts is always subjective).

SOLD SOLD SOLD

Price drop, now £80.

Also if the potential buyer is willing to wait until around the 22nd of December for delivery, I can get it couriered (to mainland UK) for free.

Back