Gios Torino Super Record - Frame and forks 51cm

pol

Dirt Disciple
Sold

I have decided to sell this frame as I will be buying something with a little more clearance and that fits me better.

It has a couple of repairable issues so will be priced to reflect this.

Some pictures first I think:

IMG_5911.resized.JPG

IMG_5913.resized.JPG

IMG_5914.resized.JPG

IMG_5915.resized.JPG

IMG_5916.resized.JPG

IMG_5921.resized.JPG

IMG_5923.resized.JPG

IMG_5925.resized.JPG

IMG_5926.resized.JPG

IMG_5927.resized.JPG

IMG_5928.resized.JPG

IMG_5929.resized.JPG

IMG_5930.resized.JPG

IMG_5931.resized.JPG

IMG_5932.resized.JPG

IMG_5933.resized.JPG

IMG_5956.resized.JPG

IMG_5957.resized.JPG

I believe the frame is a Super Record from around 1977 - 1978, based on the bottom bracket, cable guides, seat stays and dropout details.

It has been recently refurbished and has since only covered a couple of hundred miles.

I opted to have it powder coated as that was what was available to me locally and I had found a good match for the original Gios blue.

I have had it built up for a short while and it was a pleasure to ride. Very responsive and lightweight considering the age of the frame.

Seat tube c-t: 51cm.
Top tube c-c: 52cm.

Campagnolo rear dropouts, and top of bottom bracket cable guides.

Frame weight (including headset cups and bottle and seatpost fixings): approx 1800g.

Frame and forks including bottle and seatpost fixings: approx 2475g. Headset now will not be included.

Tubing: Columbus. Possibly SL or SLX.

Rear spacing: 126mm.

Gios chrome fork was purchased new a few months ago. It is the same type that can be found on Gios' reproduction of this frame:
http://www.giostorino.it/telai/gios-super-record-strada

All threads are clear.

Italian thread bottom bracket.

27.2 seatpost.

No dents that I'm aware of.

Top tube cable guide is unusual for this frame. It has internal cable routing, but not the same as can be found on the Professional model. It looks a lot like the one in post number 9 on the thread below http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/gios-torino-13498.html
Image from forum above to compare:
L1030206.jpg

There is a small crack (12mm) on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell at the very top of the 'G' in the cut out logo. You can see this in the last photo above. I honestly don't believe it is a major problem and could be easily repaired. I believe this has been caused by the type of bottom bracket fitted. It was a Miche one, that has no 'lip' or stop to the cups. When both sides are tightened, this could put excessive force on the bottom bracket shell. Due to the pretty cut out Gios logo, this type off BB should not have been used. That's my theory anyway... This could easily be welded as it is thick cast steel, but would mean a respray.

I have never really been happy with the paint / powder job. The lacquer has a few scratches and is not as durable as I would have liked. If I were to do it again, I would look further and pay more for a stove enamel job. That said, it does look very pretty as it is.

The decals on the seat tube should have been placed higher up on this smaller sized frame and the Columbus decal perhaps at the bottom of the tube. Because of this, the front derailleur ends up clamped on the decals and has damaged them.

I think you could have the frame stripped, repaired and refinished for under £200. I have just lost patience and could really do with a frame more suited to touring.

Paypal or cash on collection from Eastbourne, East Sussex.

Hopefully this will go to a good home as a bit of a project. I will include the headset but no bottom bracket.

Please PM me if you need any more info.

I'm pretty sure it is a Super Record. The only thing that is similar to the professional is the top tube cable routing, but this is of a different type to the style fitted to the professional. It also does not have the braze on gear hanger and appears to be too early to be a Professional.

I've been through these discussions quite a few times on various forums and am convinced it is a Super Record frame, but with different cable routing on the top tube.

All of the Professionals I have seen look like this:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7749/63961886.jpg

Note the cable hanger, and cable guides, both on the bottom bracket and on the top tube. The under bottom bracket cable routing would not have been an engraved shell. The Professional also had 'GIOS' stamped in the top of the seat stays and possibly on the top of the BB shell too.

The top tube cable routing system, I think, passes the cable inner and outer through the frame and uses the rubber grommets to keep the cables tidy. This frame, only the inner passes through the frame.

This, I believe is very similar, and with the original forks: http://ciclimonasteria.com/start/?page_id=152

Certainly a Gios of good quality tubing either way.

Paul

My guess is that the top tube has been changed at some point.

My Super Record has a different BB shell to this and external routing - but otherwise the same lugs and hardware.

I'm in doubt as to it being a Gios - I just think it's been extensively altered before you got it.

I'm in doubt as to it being a Gios - I just think it's been extensively altered before you got it.

It is a Gios. Do you mean you're in doubt or not in doubt as to it being a Gios?

If you were to change the top tube cable routing, it could be easier to change the whole top tube, i'd agree. I honestly don't know if that has happened in the past or not. If this was the case, I'm not sure i'd agree with 'extensively altered' though. That could be a standard repair for a decent steel frame with a dented top tube.

Also, as you mention with regards to differences on your own frame, there doesn't seem to be much of a standard with Gios frames. It seems there are quite a few combinations of details for a keen eye.

I believe the top of bottom bracket cable routing was used by Gios later than the engraved BB shell.

Saturday price drop. £180 + Postage. Not sure what postage costs yet. Around £15 - £20 I expect. I'm sure someone here can advise.

I have a box from my LBS ready to go. I can probably only post on Saturdays due to work. Happy to get it out today ;)

Paul

pol":38rlbsta said:

It is a Gios. Do you mean you're in doubt or not in doubt as to it being a Gios?

Oh crap... I deleted the "no" before doubt when editing before posting!

I meant "I'm in NO doubt as to it being a Gios".

Sorry about that...

Basically my Super Record is an 81 - and has identical fittings to this except top tube and bb shell engraving, which is less intecrate.

Oh crap... I deleted the "no" before doubt when editing before posting!

I meant "I'm in NO doubt as to it being a Gios".

Sorry about that...

No problem! That's what I thought you meant anyway.

I expect yours also has the white panel decals?

Still for sale by the way ;)

Back