Giant XTC Update 21/2-09

captain8track

Retro Guru
I'm closing the circle my first bike was a giant, and well I've decided to build a fake CX of my old purple 93 Giant Cadex in the fall. so well I needed another Giant XC! and bought a frame from a friend.

Specs are:

frame: Giant XTC composite 19"
Fork: Manitou Skareb SPV uncut steerer (I have no saw)
Crankset: Crank Brothers no granny ring
Rearmech: XT (pollished)
Handlebars: Answer
Stem: Saracen 105mm (to be changed)
Seat: Flite ti stripped
Seatpost: no name Alu, it does weigh less then a Thomson elite post.
Brakes: Avid BB7's
Brakelevers: Avid SD-7's painted black
Shifters: NOS Deore XT
Rear cogs: 8speed Shimano
Chain: kmc
Rims: Mavic 717
Hubs: Chris King discs (red anodized)
Skewers: Salsa (red anodized)
Tires: Hutchinson Python (at the moment)
Grips: ODI? needs lockons

but mind you I'm on an student budget, and it's only january, some of the choices may seem odd. But I really like topshifters and 2*8speed is enough for me. I'm not a weight weenie at all, but it's better to have a light frame worth upgrading then a bad frame with a lot of bling...

it's light, looks fast and feels pretty solid!

I will probarly change for a rigid carbon fork in the near future and that will shed a bit of weight to!

Better pictures coming!!! with the real pedals!!!!

Attachments

• PICT0299.JPG
    PICT0299.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,461
  • PICT0298.JPG
    PICT0298.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,461
re:

thanks mate, just mounted a race face carbon seatpost, and a 9speed xt cassette insteed. And it works perfectly with the 7speed shifters!!!!

but on it's first run yesterday I had a couple of problems, the rear brake loosend haha and while checking that out I lost all the air in the front wheel, so I just left it at a lbs and took a run home...

it was really fun to ride, very nimble felt a bit like the old CFM frame but better!!! My Cyclecross project is taking form to! will be a really cool hybrid between a road bike, mtb and cyclocross!!!

Updates sofar

Tried gripshifts, didn't look right.

New ring setup, new 9speed XT cassette and chain, Race Face seatpost, Thomson x4 stem, kcnc Handlebar, v-brake conversion, Carbon fork and some other wheels (xt/ tioga -mavic 217 sup).

now it needs some new brakes and levers and some lighter wheels and maybe a new rear mech sometime.

need to cut the steerer to, didn't have no saw so...

Attachments

• Foto0081.jpg
    Foto0081.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,212
It's a stealth bike! :cool:
Think those rigid carbon forks go really well with the frame.

Need some bigger photos to fully appreciate it.

re:

Thanks, it is pretty nimble to!

Tried it with the 8speed drivetrain, thumbshifters and Thomson stem, and that just didn't work at all. It was acctually to freekin low! and well I have a bit different ring setup, granny and bigring. So I went back to the 9speed cassette for a bit more versatility, and GripShifts and it seems a bit better.

Also had to change for the Ritchey/ Answer stem and handlebar kombo to get the nose a bit more comfortable. Also it wasn't possible hanging Barends on that thin handlebar so I guess I'm just gonna save that combo for when I get another sligtly higher fork someday. You have to have barends on a bike like this, haven't tried it in the dirt yet but it's probarly a bit pouncy and barends helps your upperbody relax a bit...

Latest posts

Back