Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:02 am 
Retro Guru

Quote:
Everything about it is gorgeous and playful, exactly what I want from a Kona.

Thats exactly how i feel about Kona's too! summed up in one word it would be.. 'fun' 8)

few more mods... Retro purists.. run to the hills screaming now please..!! :lol:

popped the suspension fork from my rockhopper on to see how that felt..
It gained massively in comfort and speed in the rough stuff.. but some of the zing went away.. (wasnt helped by the muddy ride though)

next up is a result of lockdown boredom...I wonder if..
looking at the cheap Brand-X 27.2 dropper post i bought for the rockhopper when i am using it with the macride..
I have a shim for the hopper that works with a 27.0 post... I wonder if.. i can reduce the diameter to 27.0..

i dont have access to a lathe... so cue much bodging.. results in this monstrosity.. (thats the lower half of the dropper on the right..)

Add some wet and dry paper.. a steady hand.. and... et voila..

one 27.0 dropper post.. remarkaly even too.. 26.98 to 27.01 in width measurements.. Its dropped fully in the frame so im not massivey concerned it will explode.. and there is plenty of material left on it.. the cable routing along the top tube is really neat too!

took it for another fun fun fun ride today in the local woods.. (gearing changed to 34:16)

Whats next...?

I think this is going to be a bike of two personalities.. :shock: :shock:

Its going to be setup as a fun light rigid singlespeed most of the time.. (tatty project two forks going to the powder coaters tomorrow..) and Titanium seatpost incoming..

and for when im going to take it for a day in the hills..
when funds permit... it will be getting some gears, a suspension fork of its own, slightly more aggressive front tyre on a new disc wheel.. and... a cable disc brake!!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:59 am 
Old School Grand Master

spacehopper wrote:
it will be getting some gears, a suspension fork of its own, slightly more aggressive front tyre on a new disc wheel.. and... a cable disc brake!!

Good

Good

Good

spacehooper wrote:
few more mods... Retro purists.. run to the hills screaming now please..!!

Honestly...unless your pulling Steve Peat moves...disc brakes...and on a single speed...really?

:lol:

That all said, it's great to see unicorns being ridden.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
Honestly...unless your pulling Steve Peat moves...disc brakes...and on a single speed...really?

:lol:

:roll:

One of the bikes next rides.. will be in Wharncliffe woods.. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

Ive rode a few of the Wharncliffe tracks on my old Proflex 856 without any brakes :D though the waterfall rock track did require me to head into the woods to slow down a couple of times, much to the amusement of my friend :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:57 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

What handlebars are they?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:14 pm 
Retro Guru

in the last couple of pics..

USE Flow Carbon 31.8 40mm rise - have been cut (properly.. with a park carbon saw blade) to 720mm

just taken them off actually, as ive managed to get a pair of my favourite bars to go on instead.. might sell them.

bikes had a few updates since those pics too..!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:43 pm 
Retro Guru

its had a few additions to turn it more into the bike i want to ride..

100mm Marzocchi Corsa Air forks.. custom tweaked internals.. and with an RC3 damper, self sprayed black.. with a rainbow flake to match the frame.. :D
Dt swiss 350 Front hub on mavic 719 rim
Vittoria Barzo 4C 2.25 Tyres
Spank Spyke cable disc - hope 180mm front rotor - uberbike race matrix pads (single finger braking... yay!)
Easton EC70 Bars
Garbaruk 10 speed extender cogs.. cassette is now 11-42
dropper post upper - has been polished as it was showing wear to the anodizing..
SLX 11 speed rear mech
concor titanium railed saddle

im not 100% happy with the gearing though.. it all works fantastically.. but im not happy with how it looks, had a short cage 10 speed mech on initially which looked ace... but it couldnt quite cope with the 42 when i installed it for some extra range.. so switched to the SLX 11 speed i had spare.. cage is too long though.. (looks wise)

long... long term plan is to probably go with the new shorter cage XTR 12 speed rear mech and a 12 speed 10-45 cassette.. but thats probably a while off.. and its likely to go back to singlespeed too at some point inbetween.. 8)

why not go with a front mech..? I like the new breed of oval chainrings.. narrow wide tooth profiles for chain retention.. and to be honest... i much prefer the look..!

sure.. i could throw a load of retro bling at this frame.. but id not ride it half as much.. or on anywhere near as challenging terrain..
and this is such a sublime bike to ride!

right ive waffled on too long... id better go fit the fork back onto the frame (its had a few more minor internal tweaks..!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:02 am 

I also like the clean looks of single narrow wide rings, and if its getting used then its all good 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:34 pm 
Old School Hero

Quote:
sure.. i could throw a load of retro bling at this frame.. but id not ride it half as much.. or on anywhere near as challenging terrain..
and this is such a sublime bike to ride!

Totally agree. Why not make a superb retro frame even more capable and fun to ride with a few updated parts. Wicked bike man, really cool 8)

Edit. I was looking at the Vittoria Barzo recently. How are they performing? Are you running tubes or sealant?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
I was looking at the Vittoria Barzo recently. How are they performing? Are you running tubes or sealant?

Theyre running orange seal endurance sealant.. couple of extra wraps of tesa tape on the (non-tubeless) mavic rims and they sealed first time..

The Barzo's have really impressed me..! probably the best all round XC/trail tyre ive ridden..

Ive ridden Maxxis for probably the last twenty years.. and when building up my Commencal Meta TR recently i thought id try something different and went for a vittoria martello and agarro combo.. which i was really impressed with..! they roll much quicker.. and feel 'lighter' to ride than the maxxis tyres.. (despite their actual weight being heavier!) for a similar amount of grip..!

So i decided to stick some barzos on the hot.. and theyve been pretty impressive too..! they weigh a bit more than most equivalent tyres.. but you dont feel it whilst riding.. their grip is great for an XC tyre.. and they roll nice and quick too.. and most importantly.. are available in 26" :lol: not ridden them enough to comment on their wear rates.. but if the rest of the internet is anything to go by.. they wear really well!

downsides...? the only ones for me are appearance.. the grey sidewalls are a bit odd.. but this soon blends in once theyve been ridden and have some dirt on them.. and the logos are massive and a bit too standouty for me..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next