Cove Stiffee FR

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I picked up this Cove Stiffee FR frame from a member on here a few months ago, it came with the Rockshox Argyle fork (140mm travel iirc) and the front wheel.
I'm wanting a "hard-core" hardtail, something I can throw down a tough rocky trail and it'll come out the other end in one piece, my current "go-to" trail bike is an On-One Inbred 29er with 100mm forks, which is a great bike, but I've found when it comes to tricky downhill trails (or Enduto style sections) it can feel a bit out of its depth (or maybe it's me that's out of my depth :LOL: ).

So the plan is to transfer drivetrain parts over from the Inbred, everything else going on the Cove are parts I have in the spares box, so I can see how I like the Cove, and it'll be easy to go back to the Inbred if it's not my cup of tea. I'm thinking I might miss the wagon wheels tbh, just have to get used to 26" again I guess.

I could use some suggestions for tough 26" wheels. Currently have mismatched rims, rear is a Halo Combat which is tough but heavy, and a bit too wide probably, the 2.4 tyre on the rear looks WIDE! :shock: :LOL:

Attachments

• 20190221_162646-804x487.jpg
    20190221_162646-804x487.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,479
Re:

I've run Mavic 321 rims on my trail bike for quite a while and got on well with them. The 21 part denotes the width of the rim, so any 21 Mavic will be pretty burly, but narrower and much lighter than a halo combat.

Re:

I was very, very tempted to buy this Stiffee when it was up for sale, but Mrs Meejoir was not having it! Looks damn good. I kept working on my Mount Vision rebuild on which, coincidentally, I’ve also currently got a pair of Mavic 321 on Deore hubs. They seem pretty tough so far.

Ive a pair of hope sports on 121 ceramic and 721.
Ive swopped out the bearings on the front, and can do the rear with the exception of the freehub bearings.
Pick up only though.

Re:

Thanks chaps, I'm hoping to get this up and running this weekend, maybe.
Meanwhile I've picked up a set of wheels, Hope Pro 3 hubs on Stans Arch EX rims , the weirdy ones with Hopes 4-bolt disc rotors, should be strong enough for my needs without being too heavy.

Re:

Stan's rims seem like a good shout, and obviously tubeless ready should you decide to go down that route. I know people on this forum have really mixed views on the 'faff' that is tubeless setup Vs the benefits, but both of my MTBs are tubeless now, and haven't let me down so far.

jimo746":2cdmwazu said:
I picked up this Cove Stiffee FR frame from a member on here a few months ago, it came with the Rockshox Argyle fork (140mm travel iirc) and the front wheel.
I'm wanting a "hard-core" hardtail, something I can throw down a tough rocky trail and it'll come out the other end in one piece, my current "go-to" trail bike is an On-One Inbred 29er with 100mm forks, which is a great bike, but I've found when it comes to tricky downhill trails (or Enduto style sections) it can feel a bit out of its depth (or maybe it's me that's out of my depth :LOL: ).

So the plan is to transfer drivetrain parts over from the Inbred, everything else going on the Cove are parts I have in the spares box, so I can see how I like the Cove, and it'll be easy to go back to the Inbred if it's not my cup of tea. I'm thinking I might miss the wagon wheels tbh, just have to get used to 26" again I guess.

I could use some suggestions for tough 26" wheels. Currently have mismatched rims, rear is a Halo Combat which is tough but heavy, and a bit too wide probably, the 2.4 tyre on the rear looks WIDE! :shock: :LOL:

What size is the on one? I could be interested in taking it off you if you stick with the cove.

Re: Re:

Madmax1993":2c80icsx said:
Stan's rims seem like a good shout, and obviously tubeless ready should you decide to go down that route. I know people on this forum have really mixed views on the 'faff' that is tubeless setup Vs the benefits, but both of my MTBs are tubeless now, and haven't let me down so far.

I wouldn't run a modern bike without it being tubeless tbh. The benefits so far have far outweighed any downsides for me.

I say "Modern", I don't actually know what age/year the Stiffee is yet.

The Inbred is a 19" I think, singlespeed frame, I fitted a DMR chain tug with integrated mech hanger and have used it 1x10 for the last year. I'll be hanging onto it for a while till I decide if I like the Stiffee.

I have a 2008 Stiffee and absolutely love it! Its a proper loony machine, a pig to get up hills but hilarious coming down them :)

maybe because I've got 170mm Zocchi forks on it though! I'm sure Cove originally said fine up to 150mm, but mine had these forks on when I bought it and I've just got used to them

Re:

That looks cool, I like the blue. Maybe the 170mm forks won't help keep the front end behaving nicely when climbing, but sound like they earn their money when heading downwards :LOL:

I got the new (to me) Hope Am4 wheels set up tubeless the other day, piece of cake!
All that's needed now I think is to adjust the brakes and gears, and fit a chain.
Might even be ready for a rest ride at the weekend!

Back