Surly Karate Monkey again..

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I had one and sold it to make space. Regretted it instantly and have bought a replacement within a month.

From a search on here.. was looking a clockworkgazz's nice build and then saw he mentioned it had not been used recently and he'd probably shift it on.

A mountain of messages later and here it is. With one issue (which I knew about!)

I've had a lot of bikes with stuck seatposts. I like a challenge. It's a project more to get my boy keen then anything else so it'll be super slow.

My boy (6) has already been telling people how much fun he is having "fixing" it which so far has been taking a BB out and spraying penetrating oil on a twice daily basis. I'm under strict instructions from him not to do anything unless he is there....

Re:

Once I get the seatpost out I can start thinking build... seat is there as eventually it's going to be trod on when I try twisting the frame to get the post out.

Last resort will be caustic soda...

Re:

Ha nice one.

The BB was crazy. Non drive side I had to use a rubber mallet and two nights to get it out. Drive side went out as easily as if a new frame.

Anyway. All good. Thanks to clockworkgazz he packed it great and top seller.

Slow but very nice progress and i admire your patience teaching the lad as he's obviously enjoying the process going by your comments :cool: ..

Re:

Thanks chap.

Took a pedal to pieces earlier with him and regreased it and changed the bearings because he wanted more to do in the garage and this is slow progress. Love watching him learning it.

Wow! that's awesome mate and it just goes to show how keen he is to learn and provided he doesn't start to loose interest at any time in the near future he's sure to become a very knowledgeable mountain biker and will probably end up teaching you a few things in years to come ,,

signing in as this is exactly what I hope my daughter will be like. I appreciate these may come unstuck, like the seatpost

Back