Hardtail with silly wheels...Stanton Switchback

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Although I was totally in love with my Slackline, it was just too small to use as a trail bike. Initially it was just for mucking about on but it rode so well and I redisvovered the fun of riding hardtails that I was using it for longer rides.

Due to it being too small, it climbed like a pig because my weight was too far over the back. As I was using the Stanton so much I came close to selling my Rune to buy one really nice hardtail but I couldn't get what I wanted / needed for it. I did however get a better Christmas bonus than I thought I would do I decided to get a bigger hardtail frame and keep the Rune.

Despite my scepticism about 650b, that's the route I've gone down. More because I liked the frame than because I wanted silly wheels or yo future proof myself. The idea of a properly slack steel hardtail frame appeals on lots of levels.

Ideally I would have had the translucent green but they're sold out until April and I didn't want to wait that long so I went for cherry red and in the flesh, I think it's lovely.

It's a lovely looking bike with some nice details and is a fair chunk longer than the Skackline so should be more comfortable.

Old and new together....

xNoJUTw.png

DtPfe8y.png

There are some lovely details on the frame too, this being my favourite.

xweOgwO.png

t4pCHGm.png

nmUoiGR.png

D1HeJoC.png

Rr96uwh.png

I'm waiting for a lot of stuff to arrive...new headset, new wheels and tyres, dropper post, seat clamp, gear cable etc.

I need to decide on forks. I was originally going to get some new Pikes but they're too expensive and I don't really like Rock Shox. So it's between some ex demo 34's from Mojo or some X Fusion Sweeps. I rode some 2013 34's which I thought were poo, but the 2014/5 ones are supposed to be much better. The ones I'm looking at are also the FIT version. Hmmmm.

I've gone for Race Face Turbine wheels because they were cheap in the CRC sale and were the lightest where's that I was considering. Reverbs were also cheap from Merlin especially with an extra 10% off so it had to be done because I missed it on the Slackline. Tyres will be Conti Mountain Kings due to the weight.

Will post up more pics as progress is made. Can't wait to ride it.

1 x 10?

What brakes?

Looks ace in the red. Think I prefer that colour to be honest.

Cheers.

Yes, it'll be 1x10 Zee mech and shifter, XT block, Sram PC1091 chain, Race Face Atlas cranks with Race Face narrow wide ring. I'll be running my trusty Deore brakes from the Slackline....they're really cheap but work really well. They felt better than my XT's ever did.

Re:

That's right an 18 whereas the Slackline was a 16.5. After is bought this there were three left until April! They seem to have sold really well.

I was going to buy one of these but the 18" would just be too small. Wish they did one for the taller rider!
Echo comments above, candy red is brilliant. Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Re: forks, no personal experience but the x fusion get rave reviews. Always sceptical of fox myself, intervals before recommended service are (or were) really minimal, and personally think rs are good vfm. Each to their own though, so long as you get what you want :D

Re:

That's a gorgeous bit of metal! Quite fancy one of these myself. I'll be keeping an eye on this :)

superstu":pldgxu9f said:
I was going to buy one of these but the 18" would just be too small. Wish they did one for the taller rider!
Echo comments above, candy red is brilliant. Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Re: forks, no personal experience but the x fusion get rave reviews. Always sceptical of fox myself, intervals before recommended service are (or were) really minimal, and personally think rs are good vfm. Each to their own though, so long as you get what you want :D

For some reason I've never really got on with Rock Shox. I seem to be the only person who never liked the original Pikes. The new Pikes were supposed to be great value for money but I'm struggling to find any that don't seem really expensive compared to X Fusion.nthe 34's are silly expensive new, but ex-demo they're not too bad. I've had a fair few Fox forks, ignored the service intervals and they've been OK. I have a set of 05 36's still on their original CSU.

Back