1998 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Evening all

My latest project and one that has got me very excited. My first full bounce.

Always loved the look of the FSRs and they seem to build up in a versatile manner. I found this one cheaply on here viewtopic.php?f=39&t=299516&p=2241928#p2241928 thanks Paul :D

So far I haven't done anything, including not taking out of the packaging properly :facepalm: . However, all seems in order and it has a load of stuff to get me going.

Build will be functional and quite cheap to begin with, then improved over time as and when I decide how much use it is going to get.

Really am pleased with this - frame looks brilliant (not that you can tell from the appalling iphone photos)

I've sourced some Marzocchi MX comps which should compliment the frame quite well...nice bar and stem taken off my Genesis, spare Easton seatpost off an abandoned M2 build, etc. It has an A2Z adapter so I can run discs front and back, but I think I will stick a decent disc up front then use a V on the back. Maybe even a Magura.

Re:

Get see proper pics when forks are fitted. Would be good to see a mock up. That photo is terrible!

Some Marzocchi mx forks purchased, some parts bin raiding, some nicking things off my brothers spares bin and an hour has meant a rolling chassis has emerged

Long way from finished but feels like progress.

Re:

This is interesting to see because I just happened to pick up the same bike here for cheap.

I believe this is a 2000 model though? http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... 1+Comp+FSR

The red and black is the same colourway as the one I have and I have not seen the frame anywhere else other than the 2000 Rockhopper FSR, Rockhopper FSR Comp and the Expedition A1 FSR which was a fsr based hybrid.

From what I've seen I believe your colour is a Euro spec? Pretty snazzy, I like it.
Did they happen to make the rockhopper with this frame in Eu pre-2000?

Just trying to see what kind of info I can get on these frames as they look to be a one year only bike!

If I happen to build it up I would also be using an mx comp, a 2004 MX Comp eta 105mm to be exact.

I hope to see some updates soon!
Have fun

Bar, stem, shifters on (managed to put a thumby on as well), brakes too although I need an adapter to fit the front (not sure what I need yet but will put a separate thread up so someone more knowledgeable can advise)

Chainset has arrived but not yet fitted. Off to the lbs in the next week to do the painful stuff I don't have the patience or skill for! Thanks for the positive feedback so far, hope you all approve.

Pick it up tonight and hopefully have a shake down ride tonight. The guy who has spannered for me has sent me a picture though to show it in its final state

I know the wheel rims don't match (nor do the tyres) but I will make final adjustments once I get used to it and see how much more money I want to throw at it.

I reckon it looks pretty good as is, and with a healthy spares box keeping costs down its probably cost me less than £150.

Back