2003 Slingshot Big-Shot SS

Slow6

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Have had this frame for a few months now quietly hanging in a corner giving me the eye.

There's a bit for me to struggle with here.

1- my distaste for black frames/components on bikes.. it should be glossy colourful paint and silver components or ano at a stretch.. always thought black components looked cheap even the high end gear.

2- Disk brake only frame.. ugh :( I've only just come to terms with V's

3- 29er :? I dunno.. can't see why it wouldn't be fun to ride... 2 wheels + puff puff = fun. right?

righto.. I have a plan: Black, little silver in there so it knows that its a bike. hang the period correct thing and try and find some skinwalls. easy

Feeling better :LOL:

Here's the frame. Salsa forks and a Crank Bros Cobalt headset.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 2,053
Found some SS 29" wheels on a local mtb forum full of young armor plated mountain bikers that make me feel like an old man.. [in - grab wheels - out]

piece of cake.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 2,051
If I fall in love with the bike it can have something speccy like some old hopes but for now I figure keep it cheap and cheerful. read a few reviews and bb7's seem well regarded and I can use any old v-lever

Quote from lbs.. $100 an end for the bb7's :(
eBay.. brand spanking - both ends for $70 shipped :shock:

I'll just have to live with the guilt this time.

Attachments

• avid.JPG
    avid.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,043
Skinwall 29" tyres.. yeh right!

Looked through the net and found zilch except for Kenda Karma OEM on a charge bike a couple of years ago.. meh.
Called every charge dealer in Aus.. not a thing :( I had hoped that some young scrote might have bought a bike and insisted they remove the daggy skinwalls leaving a set for me lying around in a workshop somewhere.. apparently not :(

realized this build was an excuse to try a set of those cheap (and hopefully cheerful) cnc levers that pop up and annoy me when I search ebay.

will most probably regret this one.. at least it will serve as a reminder to withdraw paypal fund back into the bank account immediately as paypal $$ isn't like real $$ and is waaaay too easy to spend.

Attachments

• levers.JPG
    levers.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 2,034
One set of Kenda Karma 29er pop up on ebay but the lising is UK only and the seller wont answer Q's.. Gaaaaaaaah!

Kenda KARMA.. worth a shot.

Within 2 minutes of making a help wanted add.... rojo to the rescue!

A dozen chatty pm's to one of the nicest guys on the internet (there's a list somewhere, I'm fairly sure he made the top ten) and a couple of weeks later.. SKINWALLS!!

:cool: Happy camper.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 2,031
I've been out a few times with GreenRabbit on his slingshot road bike. They are indeed a bit odd.

Back