1999 kona chute

speedplay

Senior Retro Guru
I've had this for a few years now and its been built in loads of different ways.
The past few years, it's been sat in a box with a load of other frames waiting for me to either sell it or decide what to do with it.

I decided that it would be an ideal base for a winter trail bike that will save my 146 from getting hammered too badly when the weather turns too nasty and the trails turn to grinding paste.

Well, today being sunny, I threw a load of spare (and new to me) parts at it and ended up with this:-
CEADB7A1-334C-4E6E-916D-09BAC9BB9D1F-1049-0000012A68B2E7BF.jpg

I even polished out the scratches on the xt cranks:-

26A8D2D7-9284-4711-8639-1A3228B0C01A-1049-0000012A787045E1.jpg

Spec is full xt apart from the maguras and hope front hub which as I was cleaning it, I noticed a hairline crack (Iknew I shouldnt have read the comments on hope and cracks :( ).
After close to 16 years years though, I guess I got my moneys worth out of it :)

So after the knackered fron wheel being stuck to one side, decided to stick the wheels I bought on here for another project on it:-

New wheels are d521 with butted ss spokes and hope bulb hubs.

605D86D0-2823-471F-94C5-AF323C123F0B-1049-0000012A392B4F83.jpg

Should tick all the boxes for a while :)

That needs some yellow judy xlc's on it as the original spec...... I soo wanted one back in the day...... only kona I ever liked. :cool: :cool:

I had some xlc on it and they were rubbish, had some manitou xverts and spins on it once too...
The bombers are a much better fork and I'm thinking of getting the red on them refinished in mango to match the frame :)

Very nice - got a classic late 90s look about it. Just the kind of thing I'd of loved at the time.

That looks pretty tidy. Quite a few of my mates bought them when they first came out once they twigged that Koa's and Mini Mula's weren't meant for jumping and general mucking about on after a few dead frames.

I had one of the later poo Brown ones that I polished up. It was a great little bike, bit I'm a fan of Konas so am probably biased.

I had one of those saddle too in black. I really liked it, but I broke it in the first week when I crashed trying a sketchy set of doubles.

Back