Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 am 
Retro Guru

I decided in my ultimate wisdom to temporarily retire my gringo frame earlier this year and rebuild the majority of the bits onto a clockwork. Well, I did build the clockwork but the only parts that made it form the gringo to the clockwork were the crank, BB & rear mech & shifter. Everything else was either new, or acquired to suit the build better than what I already had.

This left me with a thought. If I buy a crank that suits the clockwork a bit better I can free this up too, grab a cheap shifter & some brakes and roberts your mothers brother... I'm virtually done!

My thoughts then started roaming. I've got a fairly decent quality build on the clockwork (full x-9 & arch rivals with syncros, hope & x-lite to finish!) so why not go for a mid-range group on the entry level bike orange produced.

The plan is simple - can I build a fully functioning, good looking, nice riding 1x9 on a budget? the build is still ongoing & pics will follow as I start assembly & find the last remaining parts I need (and if anyone has an m510 based non-disc wheelset i'd be very interested!!!)

this is the bike as built before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:55 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I've got a 9 speed cassette for sale just now. HG50, shiny and in good nick. ten bucks posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 pm 
Retro Guru

update time...

apart from my current headset stiffness issues & the wheels needing re-tensioning, I'm pretty much ready to fine tune the beast.

full spec will follow, essentially what you see is what you get. race face crank & BB, koski stem & post, ea30 bar, deore m510 running gear, wheels & brakes.

pure mid-level goodness, its not light but it will be functional! red v8's will be ditched in favour of a black pedal of some description - unsure what to use at the moment