1988 Fillet brazed Bromwich 531 SOLD

narcotitlan

Rocky Mountain Fan
]Hi folks,

Well, the inevitable has happened, it's been a blast getting this bike back on the road but now it's time to let it go. Hopefully I've done it justice.
IMG_7274 by narcotitlan, on Flickr

It's a Bromwich (Cyclone?) built by Jim McIlwaine in 531ATB. When I got it was labelled as an Evans. I got it painted and changed the brakes to chainstay U, in line with another Bromwich with a similar design, also because the rear brake bridge was broken off when I got it. It has a comparably short top tube - 22" CTC (measured straight across) and 17" seat tube CTC, 21" CTT. 30" standover at the shortest point with the 2.1" tyres pumped up. At the moment it's got Mizuno/Moser forks but the original 531 forks are also available and they rise the front end up a little bit. There are a few little dings in the top tube that Bob Jacksons neglected to fill in - heyho.

Spec:

531 ATB F &f/Mizuno Columbus forks
Salsa Moto 150mm roller stem
Sakae steel bars with nice back sweep (Salsa copies)
Tange G master roller headset
XT M730 shifters and levers
Grab on MkII grips
Mavic M7CD rims on xt M730 6 speed hubs
WTB Velociraptor tyres
xt M732 front brake/Suntour XC9000 rear Rollercam
Specialized Flag crankset and rings
Suntour XCII pedals
XT rear mech
Suntour XC9000 front mech
Suntour XC seat post
Specialized Delta leather saddle
xt seatpost QR
Specialized composite bottle cages x 2
Specialized water bottles x 2
Shimano cartridge bb

Everything in great condition, tyres and tubes are new, rims: absolutely great condition front hardly seen a brake, cranks are lovely in original anodising, chainrings hardly used at all, bottles are brand new - never drunk from. pedals a few scratches. grips hardly used.

If I do say so myself it's a rather beautiful and unique bike and I'm looking for £650 SOLD . It's part of the retro bike game that that's less than what I've spent, but it's all good. I realise that I've done it up to my own spec, and though it'd be nice to sell it whole I don't mind too much breaking it especially as the parts are kind of pricey. So if you loved the frame for example you could hang your own components on it and get it for considerably less.

Couple of issues: rear wheel a little tight in the drop outs, you could enlarge them pretty easily or a few other things you could do. Front derailleur needs adjusting to get it on large chainring or possibly a different FD. Might need to experiment with different seat post sizes, the 27.0 fits fine, but a little tricky to get tight, Suntour 27.2 slightly too tight but a Shimano or other 27.2 might be better as the tolerance is different.

If you were interested in just the frame and one of the sets of forks (plus headset and bb) then I could do that for £250
IMG_7278 by narcotitlan, on Flickr
IMG_7285 by narcotitlan, on Flickr
IMG_7283 by narcotitlan, on Flickr
IMG_7280 by narcotitlan, on Flickr
IMG_7275 by narcotitlan, on Flickr
IMG_7226 by narcotitlan, on Flickr
IMG_7287 by narcotitlan, on Flickr

Re: 1988 Fillet brazed Bromwich for sale in 531

Forgot to mention, full bike plus £30 posted or Oxford free pick up.
Frame and forks £25 posted

Ta!

Re: 1988 Fillet brazed Bromwich for sale in 531

Love it Joe! GLWS :)

Latest posts

Back