GT Vertigo restoration

jocarl011

Old School Hero
Ok got to start somewhere! Just aquired my first bmx in over 20 years, I think it's a 91 GT Vertigo which is in a very sorry state! I have restored plenty of retro mtbs and road bikes but never a bmx so looking for advice on everything from where to source parts to how on earth the giro is meant to work?? This one is taped up to the frame with insulation tape and it looks like the outer cable is too short at the brake lever! The whole thing is wobbly!

I want to restore the crank so looking for a GT decal for that... the bottom bracket has loads of play at the crank arms so could do with knowing what BB i need?

The frame is going to be stripped down and powdercoated Black so trying to find decals for it, someone has already pointed me to delcals in another thread.

The saddle which is from an apollo is going to be kicked hard into a field, So will need a new one.

The chrome has flaked away and rusted on the handlebars so probably best to find some new ones?

Pedals are shite, no front brake the list goes on.....

Thanks Carl.

Re:

Hey Carl, looks like a worthy project! Looking at the dropouts it's more likely a 98 model which should make your search for parts a little easier :)

Yeah it's later that mate 97ish before they went to the sloping top tube. Fun project though. I still have my 99 performer. Parts shouldnt be an issue but people want silly money sometimes for old bmx bits. Looks like the bars have been cut down as well but with it being later you should be able to pick a set up.

The gyro is pretty simple really. Just don't forget the headset spacer above the cone then the top plate or you won't get enough travel. Then set some tension on the praise and adjust the cables on each side of the gyro till it stays flat when you spin the bars. If it's flat there's even tension on both cables.

That looks like it's been set up for dirt jumping

Back