1983 GT Mach One

bristolpaul

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys
Looking for a bit of help, I'm in the reclamation business and during my day job clearing out some old workshops I've come across a 1983 GT Mach one f&f's (I assume US made). Overall looks nice and straight and all the welds look good. It looks like it was originally chrome but as its started to pit someone has sprayed it with primer then White (very badly). The paints worn and its started to rust. It needs stripping then painting or chroming and putting back together, I have a few bits knocking about but I'd need to source most of the parts. The guys now wants £200 for it (school boy error on my part should have offered him a £10 for the scrap rather then being honest) and I'm going to have to put in at least another £500 to get a nice example. I'm not in it for the cash I like saving stuff from the skip and getting it back into service.

My question is any idea what a nice restored chrome Mach One might realistically be worth. I've had a look around and can't see anything similar for sale. I'm not looking to make a profit just cover some of the cash I've put into it. Its been sat in his workshop for 20+yrs and if I don't buy it chances are it'll rust away to a point where its un restorable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re:

It may be an 84 as i can't find any 83's. Restored may not be worth what even a lower grade original is. Found an 85 for less than 500. Buying the parts and building the bike may cost more than somebody wants to pay for it complete.

Really like the mach ones myself as they seem like the classic race bike.

Re:

Thanks Josh, yeah that was I was thinking, I'm sure the number started 83 maybe it was 84 (it was dark). I'm heading back over there in a couple of weeks so maybe I'll make him a offer. Problem is I'm now quite looking forward to restoring it. I'm seeing the guy who does rechroming for me today so I'll get a ball park quote from him. Even if I don't restore it I'd rather offer it to someone on here for what I paid for it rather than leaving it to rust in his damp shed.

Re:

Get some pictures if you can

Re chrome will cost you over £200

You could get it powdered white for around £60 upwards

If it needs restoring then your cost is going to go up, and this is where you need to take cost into account

Have a look on Bmxmuseum.com at GT Mach one
Do you home work to what you want / what you want out of it / what it's gonna cost you

Re:

Thanks for your reply, I do restoration for a living (not bikes) so the chroming I get trade and the 20% VAT back. He quoted me £120 Incl VAT for the f&f, bars and other bits that need doing. I've done a few cars (and a mates mid 80's Saracen MTB) and the BMX market looks quite similar, more money in the parts? and to get top money for a restoration it needs to have top end parts? I quite like keeping the age in the stuff but to try and match in used parts I'm guessing like other restorations is a bit of a nightmare and it never quite looks right.

I had a look at bmxmuseum.com and a nice US GT Mach one makes upwards of $400 a nice survivor $800+. As a rule of thumb with stuff like this if its $400 it'll be £400 so I'm guessing for a quite nice restored US Mach one (all re chromed) with decent parts I might get £350 - £500?

I'm gonna make him an offer anyway and if I don't get it I'll look out for another pre 86 one. I always wanted a GT but my parents weren't rich enough. My mate had one I can remember going to Bikeology in Bristol Circa 83 and his dad bought him a Pink GT (WT or Pro P, can't remember) with every conceivable extra and the full GT race top, pants everything. I can remember thinking PINK I would have got it in chrome. Lucky for me though I got his handed down Puch Murray which I was well happy with.

Re:

Right this is from a GT MASTER

Not a Mach One if it's 83, could just have gash decals on it. Mach One was really an 85+ model. Although the odd 84 frame pops up. The frame and forks are exactly the same as the pro, it was just the spec that was different.

A rough 84-86 should be no more than 200 depending on dropouts and threads etc

A very good one will only bring 300 max, and that has to be good

Nick.

So if it's rough and is not mint to start with the chrome will show it up - so maybe another way is to powder it a colour which will all work out cheaper

Get some pics of it - serial and all the major bits to see condition

Cheers B

Re: 1983 GT Mach One

Thanks again for your reply, I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks so I'll check it out again. In my game as soon as you start to show an interest the price starts going up. I'm planning on buying quite allot of stuff from the guy so I'll lump it in on the deal and get the Company to pay for it (whilst telling the Mrs it was free). Winters coming so I could do with a little project anyway the 50's Kenwood mixer I've been tinkering with is almost finished.

He bloody gave it to his son so expect to see it for sale on ebay at some point (hopefully for me to bid on) bit disappointed as Id cleared a corner in the workshop, found me bike stand and boxes of spares. I even experimented on a few bits in an OA bath. Going to keep my eye out for a US made GT Mach one or interceptor. Thanks again for your help.

Back