Identifying BMX Mini Race Frame

TensileMike

Retro Newbie
Trying to identify this mini race BMX frame. I thought it was from the early 80's but not sure. Very distinctive looking welding. Frame number is 20 - 004 -- 001747. Top tube to seat tube length is about 44cms. Has an early Mongoose style looping one piece backstay and chainstay.
Weight is 1394 grams.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

Attachments

• minibmx1.jpg
    minibmx1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,696
  • minibmx2.jpg
    minibmx2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,695
  • minibmx3.jpg
    minibmx3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,695
Re:

Alright Mike

Looks to me like a Mini MRD mate - March Racing developments - As in Tim March ;)

Yours has brazed welds (very tidy) & theres four company's that spring to mind who used brazed welding bitd.

Curtis, Rickman, MRD & Birmingham wheels

The most distinguishing feature are the triangle cut outs in rear drop outs.
Rickman have a round hole cut out
Curtis have none (box style drop out)
BW have none (with larger loop tails)

Also the seat collar is slightly longer than normal (BW used very long ones & MRD slightly smaller, & Curtis, Rickman as standard)

At guess i would say 1984

Try a google search for mini MRD,s , i reckon they will be the same.
Have you got the forks for it ?
:xmas-wink:

Re:

Hi Scooter
Thanks for that, it was extremely helpful.
First of all we were big BMX dealers in the 80's and we used to sell lots of Rickmans, mainly the Freestyler. I thought it may be a Rickman but couldn't actually remember doing any Mini's. We never dealt with Curtis as I think they only sold direct. I really can't remember if we ever dealt directly with Tim as he was a fairly late entrant into the market, but we could have. Unfortunately I sold my Rickman catalogue and price list last year.
Looking at pictures there seems to have been a variation in MRD frames and they don't all seem to have the single triangle hole. Rickman, as you say have the round hole but could they have used the triangle hole version if they were sub contracting for Tim. Maybe the frame number would be the best clue. Is it similar to other Rickmans or other MRD's.
Unfortunately I don't have the fork. I have had the frame from new and is never been used or built. I has considerable surface corrosion so would benefit from a de-chrome and re-chrome, which would make it new.
Cheers
Mike

Re:

Nice one Mike ,

I'll do some more digging around asap , a good friend local to me "Phil" is a wealth of knowledge on british builds / race bikes so i'll give him a shout, he should be able nail it , especially with the serial no. ;)

Back