Using a 'traditional' double front mech with compact cranks?

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
I have a compact 50/34 crankset to go onto my roadie to replace a 53/39 that's currently on there. I was just wondering if I can still use the Dura Ace 7700 front mech that I have on, or do I need to buy one of these new 'compact compatible' front mechs? I know that Shimano claim that the 7700 one is for 15T ring difference or less and that the new 7900 and Ultegra 6800 ones are the ones to use with a 16T difference compact setup - but how much of that is marketing vs engineering??

I've not had two examples together to compare them closely, but how much do the cages differ in terms of length and curvature? My mech is a braze-on type so could be lowered sufficiently, I would expect. On top of that, I could shim the top of the clamping section a bit to rotate the cage anti-clockwise and match the smaller rings a bit.

Has anyone tried this, with any success? Apologies if it's been covered before, I tried a quick search but didn't see the answer.

Cheers, Gareth.

A lot of this is marketing. I ran a Campag Record road mech with a Middleburn Duo 42/29 setup - and it was absolutely fine.

Should be fine. I'm currently using a normal Shimano 600 double chainset front mech on a 30-42-52 triple and it works fine.

That's what everyone did back in the day. There was no alternative so you had no choice.

Should be fine. I'm currently using a normal Shimano 600 double chainset front mech on a 30-42-52 triple and it works fine.

That's what everyone did back in the day. There was no alternative so you had no choice.

hamster":193xfrst said:
A lot of this is marketing. I ran a Campag Record road mech with a Middleburn Duo 42/29 setup - and it was absolutely fine.

+1 - I use a Mavic 862 double mech to run a modified Middleburn RS7 (46/36 with the granny ring taken off) and it's fine.

David

Back