crud racers or sks blades

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
having trouble to decide on which ones for my racer with no mudgaurd eyes to use , cruds have full lenght on rear but not sure on fittings long term , race blades look better for durability but not full length .

any comments :roll:

Depends on how much clearance you have - you need at least 4mm between the tyre and brake caliper for the Cruds. I have both and prefer the Cruds if they fit - a bit more fiddly to fit, but feel more secure and don't damage the paintwork as much. The Raceblades move around a lot more - I had one wear a chunk out a brake caliper on a ride.

I have the Crud ones, I have just taken them out for a day with the local CTC, and apart from a few adjustments (I put the bike in the car on the way there as I was running late). They were fine.

I had bought these a few months ago and wrote some stuff about them, I think they are pretty cool and certainly did what they said on the tin today - suprising how much slush is still on the backroads of sussex at the moment.

Stuff wot I wroted: http://www.cyclesouthdowns.com/?p=14

:)

Edit: p.s. 23-25 mm tyres only.

I hate the cruds. Used some for a couple of rides and decided that I'd rather have a wet arse so took them off. One of my riding buddies used them and hated them too. Maybe they just don't work well with our bikes though, we both ride a Focus Cayo and clearance is tight.

I got some blades 2nd hand and put them on with no fuss .... Seem to do the trick without any problems? :?

Several guys in my regular group have bought Cruds and the general concensus is that they're not all that good. They seem to be fragile and the fixings break off easily. One guy has rivetted a part from some old SKS guards as a fixing instead.

Back