Info about Briton Racing Bikes track frame/bike

Mr Lomax

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone out there may be able to shed some light on the following.
I recently won an eBay auction for a track bike which has Briton Racing Bikes decals on it. The colour scheme suggests an 80s respray (possibly by Briton) but the frame itself would appear to be much older given it has Nervex lugs, a double fork crown and a 26.2mm (approx) seat post size - I'm no expert so any information would be appreciated. The bottom bracket shell is stamped Nervex and has the number 4896, there is a series of other numbers/letters but they are impossible to read! The rear dropouts have been shortened and there is an interesting feature to the seat stay and chain stay bridges, both have been shaped to allow closer clearances for the rear wheel. Overall the bike is very light and rides very well, much better than the modern thing I have now. I'm planning on sympathetically restoring it with some period replacement parts and a suitable colour scheme - suggestions?
Please see the pictures URL attached, any help would be greatly appreciated, if there are any questions that I can answer that would help to ascertain the bikes identity then please do get in touch. For information the seller was from Hampshire and I've asked them for any more details which may help too.
Many thanks in advance!

http://gallery.me.com/carl.lomax#100051
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lomax71/sets/72157623130343983/

Perhaps it was originally built for 26" wheels hence the cutouts to clear 700C size. Could be 50's/60's but it's a pity about the rear ends, limits the adjustment available for a wider selection of cog sizes.

Briton Cycles was a shop on the Cove Road, Farnborough - it closed sometime in the late 90s. The guy who ran it - Nigel I believe returned to the Northwest and I understand may be a mechanic at the Velodrome. I'm not sure they ever built frames - but may have rebadged frame from local builders. A few of the Farnborough & Camberley riders at the time had Briton frames

Latest posts

Back