Brake block advice

bentleybez

Dirt Disciple
I have a 1952 “Hill Special” fitted with Dunlop stainless rims. My question is, what type of brake block is best to use on this type of rim?. Looking through my old spares box I noticed some brake blocks have ‘Steel’ or ‘Alloy’ embossed on them?, I have an old Carlton that has rubber brake blocks with what appears to be a leather/hide insert in the rubber block.

I’ve done the usual eBay search and found NOS ‘Fibrax’ inserts, in varying contact face patterns and either standard black or snazzy red rubber (differing compounds perhaps?) or am I overthinking it!.

Apologies if this is simplistic schoolboy stuff but it’s not something I’ve had any dealings with!.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best regards Iain.

I remember those leather insert blocks - they were awful! Generated a lot of noise in the dry and didn't make a great deal of difference in the wet. At some point in the next couple of days the brand name will come back to me. I think that you are right in suggesting that there used to be different colours of blocks intended for chromed steel or alloy rims but by all accounts the compounds used in ALL were not particularly good. Maybe it was me believing all the marketing hype, but I do remember fitting my first set of Aztek blocks and being amazed at the difference (albeit on alloy rims). I have Campag blocks on my C Record Delta brakes and (I'll say it quietly) they a pretty poor in terms of stopping power.

However, I'm sure technology in this area has moved on and if I was doing half the mileage I used to or needed to be out when it is raining I'd be looking for something better than I tolerate at the moment.
Whilst alloy and steel do perform differently as braking surfaces (the former being much, much better), you will most likely find that a decent pad will be fine on your steel rims.
I'll leave it for others better qualified than I to comment on the state of the art and make product recommendations.

Edit: Remembered! "Raleigh Rain Check". Awful name, awful product.

Re:

Hi ZG and many thanks for your input regarding the blocks, I must say I had a chuckle at your observations of braking performance!.

Yes, the leather will not be kind to the alloy rim.
I use the Fibrax Rain Cheater on my Dunlop Stainless Steel rims.
Just ride to the known performance limitations of the period equipment and you will be fine.

Re:

Good to know you use them on your Dunlop rims, and I agree about using period equipment within its limitations. To be truthful I was more concerned about prolonging the life/finish of the rims as much as safety!.

Back