Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Early 50s Raleigh bikes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all , got a two Raleigh bikes from I believe the early/mid fifties, just wondering what these are worth and if they are even worth anything at all?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PySb9Uu5FYjL5b129

Sorry for not uploading them directly I don’t have time to get them to my pc and takes too long on the mobile site

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:12 pm 
Retro Guru

I paid £50 for two bikes - a '51 Gents Raleigh and a similar age Elswick ladies bike - in better (but not much better) nick than yours around a year ago.

I'd be interested in the gents Raleigh as a spares bike for mine......shame you're a bit far away.......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm 
Dirt Disciple

sherlylock wrote:
I paid £50 for two bikes - a '51 Gents Raleigh and a similar age Elswick ladies bike - in better (but not much better) nick than yours around a year ago.

I'd be interested in the gents Raleigh as a spares bike for mine......shame you're a bit far away.......

Do you have any idea about what models they are and what years they are from?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Well, if they're green and have gold lining, they're probably Superbe models. If you're not able to sort out the rust, the money's in the Brooks saddle, the crankset and pedals on the gents' and headlamp on the ladies' bike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm 
Retro Guru

swebb5039 wrote:
sherlylock wrote:

Do you have any idea about what models they are and what years they are from?

As mentioned, green with gold lining and rod brakes suggests Superbe Dawn Tourist models. I have a 1951 Superbe which has the same bar grips (rare) and frame lugs as the ladies version in your pics. Superbe models usually have a built in fork lock and stainless wheel rims and will be 4 speed.

Rear hub (providing its original to the bike) will be stamped with a date. It'll be 3x numbers like "8 51" This gives you month and year of manufacture. My guess is early fifties. There is a guy on the fb raleigh roadster owners page who can decode the frame number too (stamped at the top of the seat tube) to give you an accurate date.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 pm 
Dirt Disciple

sherlylock wrote:

If at some point once restrictions ease. You are more than welcome to come and collect them both free of charge if you want

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 am 
Retro Guru

swebb5039 wrote:
sherlylock wrote:

If at some point once restrictions ease. You are more than welcome to come and collect them both free of charge if you want

Very kind offer - I'd be up for that for sure. Beer tokens in hand obviously!

I'll PM you. :)