What colour were tubs in the early/mid 80's?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm getting close to finishing my 84 batavus professional, I finally have wheels (record hubs with GP4 red label rims), so need tubs.

Will I get away with basic Vittoria rally's, or will the light sidewalls look out of place for 1984?

Were tubs back then all black, or were light coloured sidewalls around?

AFAIK all the ones i had a hold of were skin/amberwalls.
First non-amberwalls i had were some horrific orange things in the mid 90s.

thanks! I've been checking older photos, and it seems amberwalls were more or less everywhere at that time :LOL:

vittoria rally's it is then! :facepalm:

In 1982 when I drifted away from bikes the vast majority of tubs were amberwall, there were sporadic other colours, red, green, orange and some were all white lol

Re: Re:

pigman":3r1855xw said:
Vittorias (CX best Tyre ever) we're amber gunwalls,
Bought those when i started using tubs again....... now they've discontinued them (boooooo)

Clement 3’s had gumtype walls, Pnues Dourdoigne Grand Prix des Nations tubular tyres were the same, Wolber piste & Record route also tanned walls

Black walls didn't come in until everyone (well, newbies anyway) started wearing black and riding black bikes.

Re:

That's what I thought, but back in 84 the only bike I had was a grifter, and it had all black tyres :LOL:

If you’re getting cheap tubs I recommend Continental Giro over Vittoria Rally. I’ve found the Rally is rarely very round, it’s really poorly made.

Challenge Vulcano is a nice looking tyre if you want a 25.

Back