Crash Damage Assessment?

jackosbournesnr

Senior Retro Guru
Yesterday, someone decided to drive straight across the bit of road I was on resulting in a fairly hefty clatter bang wallop.

Anyway... I want to assess the state of the bike, so I'm looking for advice from those in the know as to how to spot issues in steel frames and forks. I don't want to find myself in the middle of LEJOG when something significant cracks on me.

What say ye sagely ones?

Re:

Blimey! :shock: I hope you have a speedy recovery. If there was that much damage to the car then it may be the bike will have issues too. Rippled or cracked paint on the frame can be a telltale. Do the wheels still sit right in the frame. Using a piece of string stretched from one rear dropout, round the Headtube and the back to the other rear drop out. Then measure distance from the string to the seat tube each side and compare. If the measurements are different then frame could be bent or twisted. I hope you get some justice!

Re:

Claim for the whole bike, you can't tell what may be damaged. Then you can accept an offer from the insurance company.
Doesn't mean it is unrideable though. Its just negotiating.

Keith

Good to hear you're (mostly) OK, sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Get the bike checked out by a good LBS, if there is anything wrong they will be able to put it down on paper and you will have more than just your word that it's damaged (any insurance claim will surely require proof of what you're claiming, not just you saying that it's broken). The LBS should also know what to look for and be able to check the bike fully - I'm not doubting your ability but it sounds like you're not sure what to look for so might miss something important.

Re: Re:

keithglos":37fbnoml said:
Claim for the whole bike, you can't tell what may be damaged. Then you can accept an offer from the insurance company.
Doesn't mean it is unrideable though. Its just negotiating.

Keith

^^ This. It took me a long time to get compo last time. Get a proper expert medical diagnosis on yourself. Hopefully you wont but arthritic hands can be debilitating long term. Glad you are OK. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back