Shimano 600 NIB/NOS group in display box

TheJackel2013

Retro Guru
Found this 10 miles from home today. I'm stoked Got a wicked deal too. But mainly I wanted to show the box. I've never seen a mini group boxed of Shimano 600 before. Must be rare, especially these days.

Searching for the perfect frame before I build, so these beauties will stay in my closet for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,105
  • IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 1,105
To get a complete groupset is a fair old challenge, new is just lucky as hell :LOL:

Well done.

Re:

Those SLR brakes are really good. Better than dual pivots (more linear response, lighter, can track an out-of true rim, don't rub as badly on climbs). The general public likes centreing brakes with a little screw, though.

Re:

Wonderful! Great find.

If you decide to go clipless, let me know please! ;)

Mike

PeterPerfect":1el8pc6c said:
I've never seen a NOS 600 set before. Will have to be a quality, period frame to warrant their use.

I think I may have stumbled onto something. Pics later when it has arrived. This build is turning out to be quite serendipitous.

Re: Re:

rogerzilla":2oqc2t5d said:
Those SLR brakes are really good. Better than dual pivots (more linear response, lighter, can track an out-of true rim, don't rub as badly on climbs). The general public likes centreing brakes with a little screw, though.
not wholly true in my experience.

I had some of those on a modern build and you are right in that they are lighter. and they are smooth cos the centre bolt has surrounding bearings to allow the arms to float against the washers and they do space wide apart to allow a buckled wheel to clear the pads, but the downside of a caliper that allows a lot of movement at the rim for little lever input (that's why they ride wide apart), is reduced mechanical advantage and less feel for gradual changes of braking power. I eventually put some 105 DP's on my bike (and used the same blocks/shoes) & the braking was massively improved.

Imagine a seesaw with the pivot towards one end. Push up and down on the longer end and you will have great mechanical power and be able to control small movements, but will need to push your end a long distance to achieve relatively small movement at the other end (this is DP's)
Now reverse the situation so that you move the short end and the longer end is reacting to your movements - every small input you make has a massive movement at the other end (this is the wide gap at the rim). You will find it difficult to gauge movement when you want the long end to move a small bit (less feel) and you will have to apply a lot of force to get the thing to move (less mechanical advantage).

However I rode lots of different brakes back in the day and these Tricolour were better than any Weinmann, campag, diacompe or previous shimano, so they are a good brake IMO.
I also remember a DP tricolour in the early 90's too.

WOW! What a great find, a truly great groupset, nos and in boxes.
Very lucky and look forward to seeing what they end up on.

Jamie

Back