Why are old 56cm road bikes so hard to find?

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello fellow retrobikers.

This might be a daft question but I've come to the conclusion that size 56 measured ctt racer's circa '80s/'90s are near on impossible to find, they barely ever come up for sale on ebay or gumtree and when they do they often turn out to be what I'd class as a 58 measured to the top of the seat tube? Can anyone shed some light on this, as anyone else had the same problem when looking for that size.

Any ideas why this size is so hard to find?

Thanks

what kind of thing are you after? I've got a 56x56 late 80s road bike I might sell....

onyerbike531":3paxv0hi said:
and when they do they often turn out to be what I'd class as a 58 measured to the top of the seat tube? Can anyone shed some light on this, as anyone else had the same problem when looking for that size.

Any ideas why this size is so hard to find?

Thanks
Look for 54s instead?

Thanks for the replies, I shall have a look.

Ideally looking for an '80s early '90s Peugeot, I don't even mind if it's a Carbolite frame as long as it fits, I've a 58cm Peugeot Optimum 14 with reynolds 531 tubing it's a beaut (I've become quite fond of old Pugs) but this thing just feels too big even after adjusted the fit; still feel too stretched out and still getting some serious shoulder pain when on longer rides.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi Andrew,

I did see it and it's a beaut but felt it was a bit out of my price range, I can't really afford that much at the moment.

Back