C Record Brake Lever Aero Conversion Kit Question

Kona fan boy

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

A stupid question for a Sunday! What are the metal plates for in the aero conversion kit. I've not managed to find any answers on Google and I'm sure it's really simple, but I've tried placing them in various places on the levers but nothing seems right. Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks,

Tony

Re:

They are to guide the inner brake cable if you are concealing the brake cables under the tape or through the bars themselves. Not required if you're routing the cables in a pre-aero lever style ie out into the open air like Super Record etc.

They are positioned in a "V" style as you look at them - the lower part of the shape acts like a gutter or a trough to hold and guide the inner brake cable through to the back of the brake lever body and into the outer brake cable casing on the other side. Put a spot of grease in each one to make it as friction-free as possible for the cables. Make sure you use a ferrule on the outer cable or the outer casing will do it's best to draw itself through the brake lever body when the brake lever is applied under pressure.

Best of luck,

Craig

Re:

Craig, I couldn't have asked for a better answer, thank you so much for taking the time to give such a comprehensive answer.

Cheers,

Tony

Re:

My pleasure, Tony. I've always loved this era of Campagnolo gear and
those levers are no exception. Stunning stuff.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Craig

Re:

I would say keep the cables external old-school style. I had more than one cable snap on me under hard braking. Using that plate, the cable has to make an awkward bend and this manifests itself as a weak point over time. I suppose it depends how much you'll be using the bike

Re:

I'm going to be a bit contrary and say that I've had these levers since they came out and never had any problem with them or the home drilled bars. Folk always said "Don't drill your bars - they'll snap!" I can't think I've ever heard or seen this happen. Even with the levers, it's just your luck, I guess.

Looking forward to seeing that TSX when it's done.

:cool:

I worked for a season for a smaller team that where equipped with that lever set up bars were not drilled cables just under the bar tape but keeping a smear of grease on the plate we never had any cable failures & I cannot remember any adverse comment from any of the riders.

Back