40 year old Tubulars - Safe to use?

BretonDave

Old School Hero
Hi,

Just purchased a mid 70's bike which has its original Wolber Junior Butyl tubs on - they look in great condition - no deterioration to rubber or sidewalls. They hold good pressure too.

Question is - are they safe to use?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2084698.JPG
    P2084698.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 843
Try them on a few trips around the block first and then allow them to sit and see what happens

Re:

Yes, I was going to take some shorter rides to start with - I'm more worried about a failure on a descent!!

I wouldn't ride on rubber that old - it's madness! Certainly if you are going to descend at any speed, the capacity for catastrophic failure would too great for me.

Re:

I wouldn't use them for any kind of serious riding.

They will have deteriorated even if there's no signs of cracks or splits, and its what you can't seen that is the problem. They can't be worth the risk on descents or corners. Save them for a show bike and get some new tubs! :D

Edit: As JSH said above :LOL:

I've got quite a few tubs from the late 70's.........even some brand new ones that were on spare wheels just stretching a bit. I wouldn't dare ride them in anger.

Shaun

Depends how they've been stored TBH.
And if you have an absolute guarantee that they've not been exposed to UV, Heat, Cold, Ozone, Moisture, Chemicals. Or anything else that could strip stuff out of the tread or carcass of the tyre.

But these haven't been stored. They've been fitted and left, or ridden.

Personally speaking, I'd not even ride them round the block.

Midlifes tyres *might* be ok. Again, depending on how they have been stored......... (so more than likely NOT ok......)

Hi mattr :) What I meant to say....... but didn't say it very well......... was even though my ancient tubs are brand new and have been stored pretty well I wouldn't dare ride on them.

hashtag faceplant :(

Shaun

Thanks for replies.
Mattr - you've just about covered every environmental scenario going!! ( re: if you have an absolute guarantee that they've not been exposed to UV, Heat, Cold, Ozone, Moisture, Chemicals. Or anything else that could strip stuff out of the tread or carcass of the tyre).

I'm more than happy to accept the overall consensus - its just being a tight fisted Yorkshire git - I was thinking I might save a few bob!!

Back