Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 am 
Retro Guru

markbeaver wrote:
dwscrimshaw wrote:
Thanks Mark, good to have these numbers I think they are going to be useful. I am reviewing the graphs currently and a issues is appearing around the 1952 dates that we do no understand fully. Your 1954 number fall into the surrounding knock on effects and is a good data point.

Also the frame the Mistral frame you received in Winter 1981/82 is close to the date boundary. Again I always keep these under review when new info comes in like this. Do you remember when you received it. Currently I see this as a 1982 number, but I would have expected it to have been built in 81, unless they were working quickly to get these frames out. As Doug said your experience on this would be helpful.

Thanks again Dave

I can't remember the month of arrival of the black Mistral but it certainly was 1982, not '81, but whether it arrived in February or March has disappeared into the mists of time. I was certainly riding it in April 1982.

Mark Beaver
Halifax, NS, Canada

Thanks Mark, Knowing it was on the road in April is a good fix point.

Thanks again

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am 

Just to clarify my earlier post, which I had written from memory. I dug out the receipt and it was in fact bought at Essex Cycles, Essex Quay, Dublin on 18 April 1980. Description from the receipt - Holdsworth Pro Frame and Forks - Claud Butler. Frame number is as quoted 012770. I will try and upload some pictures. I will caution that the paintwork is in bad shape. It hasn't been used for 30 years. Despite other frames coming and going I held on to this one as it was my first serious purchase. I also have the mostly Campag SR groupset that hung on it. Some day it will be re-sprayed and put back on the road.

Thanks

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 am 
Retro Guru

Hopefully that'll happen soon :-)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 am 
Retro Guru

Satdog wrote:
Just to clarify my earlier post, which I had written from memory. I dug out the receipt and it was in fact bought at Essex Cycles, Essex Quay, Dublin on 18 April 1980. Description from the receipt - Holdsworth Pro Frame and Forks - Claud Butler. Frame number is as quoted 012770. I will try and upload some pictures. I will caution that the paintwork is in bad shape. It hasn't been used for 30 years. Despite other frames coming and going I held on to this one as it was my first serious purchase. I also have the mostly Campag SR groupset that hung on it. Some day it will be re-sprayed and put back on the road.

Thanks

Peter

Thanks for Info, updated accordingly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:02 pm 
Retro Guru

There is at least a frameset from circa 1961 on eBay with nice pictures and frame number. Did you notice it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks, found that. Yes e-bay has been a good source of numbers, but frustrating too as there are loads without. I do understand the reluctance not to publish frame numbers when selling, will still keep looking and hope once bought they come up else where.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:40 pm 

Attached are images of Claud Butler. I had to cover up bare metal with smooth Hammerite to prevent corrosion. Lucky there is no pitting. When the droupouts were being chromed you can see where the chrome extends up the seat/chainstays and forks.
Attachment:
DSC_0251.jpg
DSC_0251.jpg [ 187.13 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0252.jpg
DSC_0252.jpg [ 141.8 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0253.jpg
DSC_0253.jpg [ 130.51 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0254.jpg
DSC_0254.jpg [ 144.62 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0255.jpg
DSC_0255.jpg [ 131.13 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks for the photos

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:52 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Hi Peter and Dave,

A bit of a wild goose chase re Harding, however order process and thoughts re your Holdsworthy "Claud Butler" still stand. Still your frame is a good example of a special order from another shop, Essex cycles, Dublin. As you have previously pointed, out I agree pics fit the bill for a c.78 Holdsworth Pro.

When one looks at the catalog description of '78, this is an interesting quote; "Handbuilt in a special section at Holdsworthy by dedicated frame builders under the direction of a master craftsman..." (Legendary Bill Hurlow was said to be consulting at Holdsworthy during that time.)
http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsCats/Cat ... ames78.jpg

This is very interesting as it speaks to the Holdsworthy factory process for their top model - it was in a separate special section of factory by their top builders.

You have a "special" frame.

Doug

Satdog wrote:

Thanks

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Wow look at this lovely frame! Never seen that head badge before.

Worth contacting the owner.

Look at this on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262838863876

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next