Frame identification. "Shimano 531c"

EddieJT

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Bought this frame but understand that Shimano never actually made frames, so any idea what it is?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152300446034

I also suspect it's not actually 531c, since the seat tube ID is only 25mm and the frame is weighing in over 2.6kgs.

Thoughts please?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

So many things are wrong...not 531, Reynolds stickers are too late for the frame anyway...so a bit of a fraud really.

And no, Shimano didn't make frames...don't take any decal or sticker at face value; seems an awful lot people do.

Rk.

Yep, I saw that on the bay. Haden Europa fork crown and Haden lugs iirc as used on the Mercian Campionissimo and some Bob Jackson and sundry other makers. Is there a frame number on it to help with ID?

How much does the frame weigh?

Shaun

Re: Re:

roadking":k1hm5ty1 said:
So many things are wrong...not 531, Reynolds stickers are too late for the frame anyway...so a bit of a fraud really.

And no, Shimano didn't make frames...don't take any decal or sticker at face value; seems an awful lot people do.

Rk.

I see.

Midlife":58rfdn7p said:
Yep, I saw that on the bay. Haden Europa fork crown and Haden lugs iirc as used on the Mercian Campionissimo and some Bob Jackson and sundry other makers. Is there a frame number on it to help with ID?

How much does the frame weigh?

Shaun

First digit is very hard to read; I think it's 09003491

Frame alone weighs 2.6kg

Not sure...IIRC some Peugeots used 531 in metric sizes. However a 2.6kg frame is never going to be 531 unless in a gate size and in one of those Mega tubesets they briefly made for MTBs.

Re:

You might find a seam weld ridge inside the seat or down tube.
A 1.125 inch OD would be 27.2 ID if 23G butted 531, 20PG ID 26.4.

Keith

Back