Touring bike / frame. What to look for?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
With the distant prospect of retirement on the far horizon, I am about to start on a long term project to build a tourer.

I say tourer rather than adventure (26" wheel) bike as my first thoughts are for mostly road use and longish distances.

So, my initial thoughts are steel frame, full set of rack mounts, triple crank, dynamo hub.... and that's about as far as I have got.

Dawes Galaxy or Dalesman? Raleigh Randonneur?

Your thoughts / experience please.

NeilM":2tyso541 said:
With the distant prospect of retirement on the far horizon, I am about to start on a long term project to build a tourer.

Dawes Galaxy or Dalesman? Raleigh Randonneur?

Your thoughts / experience please.

They are the House Reds of the touring bicycle world, tasty enough for most people. I personally would be looking for something for a connoisseur of reds!

Happy hunting.

Roadking.

P.S I do have a super condition Galaxy (22.5) if you fancy one of those.

Re:

I know nothing of touring bikes, so you will have to enlighten me as to "connoisseur of the reds".

I saw something appealing on ebay, until the weight, 21.5 kgs... unloaded!

it's definitely the kind of bike where the "like a glove" custom build seems like the obvious way. Mercian King of Mercia?

Re: Re:

NeilM":31rny8ks said:
I know nothing of touring bikes, so you will have to enlighten me as to "connoisseur of the reds".

I saw something appealing on ebay, until the weight, 21.5 kgs... unloaded!

What you've suggested in your original post would be suitable, and relatively easily found - esp' the Dawes. A custom build would be very costly for a starter bike, so I'd look for a Dawes.

No doubt there will be many suggestions, but they may not help your decision-making/purchase. Depending on your budget* you could consider a new Ridgeback or Condor.

Rk.

*advice always tricky when you don't state a budget.

Re:

I have the time to go custom.

Actually that's not a bad idea as I spoke to Jose at Paulus Quiros last year about 'comfortable' frames and the types of tubes used.

Food for thought, thank you.

Oh, and I don't really have a budget, as I'd want practically light, which usually means money on frame, wheels and running gear.

Re: Re:

NeilM":2sirwps4 said:
I have the time to go custom.

Actually that's not a bad idea as I spoke to Jose at Paulus Quiros last year about 'comfortable' frames and the types of tubes used.

Food for thought, thank you.

Oh, and I don't really have a budget, as I'd want practically light, which usually means money on frame, wheels and running gear.

If you have the budget - and everyone has a budget - then a bespoke build is the way to go if you know what you want/need - otherwise it becomes someone else's build.

Rk.

leofeat.jpg

I quite like Andy Feather frames ............maybe it's the 1970's. Chrome :)

Shaun

Back