Carlton Frame Numbers

Dodgysprocket

Retro Newbie
Hi, can anyone point me toward a website etc. that would help me date a Carlton frame from its frame number (6 digits no letter prefix).

I found a few links but they appear to be no longer working.

Ah! the notorious Carlton "missing years" for numbering. Between 1968 and 1972 the numbering for Carlton's went a bit pants !! Even the now defunct "carltonme" website drew a blank

Often best to try and date from catalogs or any original bits still attached to the frame :)

Shaun

Re:

Shaun, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Carlton was bought as frame only so I can't get a date of a hub or brake caliper etc.

Here's a picture of mine, but I have not seen it in any of the online catalogues?

Attachments

• Carltoncontinental.jpg
    Carltoncontinental.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 2,075
The decals are in the wrong places if memory serves, Normally that style of frame came with Crespera lugs so probably 1967-69 when they were swapping over.

When in all chrome / colour fade / acryllichrome it would have been a Cobra........

i2pon9.jpg

1zvdb81.jpg

Shaun

Re: Re:

Dodgysprocket":fjvqsovl said:
Shaun, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Carlton was bought as frame only so I can't get a date of a hub or brake caliper etc.

Here's a picture of mine, but I have not seen it in any of the online catalogues?

Interesting, never seen a Continental with those lugs in this timer period, c68-72 as Shaun says. It maybe possible the frame has been refinished with these imichrome decals, the International model of this era had those type of lugs. That said I wouldn't be surprised id this was 'genuine' in that it left the factory in this guise... The early 70s Continental was either poly green or red, the earlier model in the 60s had copper, red or blue Nicrillic paint finish. Ill see if I can find something on this for you...

Found this, Imichrome decals in the same place, but uses Crespera lugs...

Attachments

• continental.jpg
    continental.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,998
Re: Re:

Spokesmann":2dbmubso said:
Dodgysprocket":2dbmubso said:

Interesting, never seen a Continental with those lugs in this timer period, c68-72 as Shaun says. It maybe possible the frame has been refinished with these imichrome decals, the International model of this era had those type of lugs. That said I wouldn't be surprised id this was 'genuine' in that it left the factory in this guise... The early 70s Continental was either poly green or red, the earlier model in the 60s had copper, red or blue Nicrillic paint finish. Ill see if I can find something on this for you...

As far as I can tell the paint is original with just one coat of primer and one coat of top coat on the bare metal.

Anyone know where I could get hold of a Tru-Wel tubing decal?

Dodgy

Back