I love this bike, but is it nothing special?

debzvee

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I have a classic yearning for a retro bike and have seen this one locally. It is a Peugeot Performance 5000 with columbus megatube double butted sticker on it. Excuse my ignorance but is this a steel bike and what type of steel if so? I guess it's not a particular high grade!how much do you think is reasonable price for it?
Thanks

Attachments

• $_58.jpg
    $_58.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 957
  • $_58-1.jpg
    $_58-1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 956
  • $_58-2.jpg
    $_58-2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 955
It looks like a fake columbus decal to me. Certainly the frame is nothing special.

I believe this model was built with steel Columbus Megatubes and current value in similar goodcondition would suggest around the £150.00 mark although there are a few being offered for higher amounts elsewhere.....it's real value is what you are prepared to pay

Griff

Thanks Griff! I bought it for £70 in working order but with a dodgy front shifter and a very wobbly cassette! This made it more interesting tbh as I am keen to get into bike maintenance! I've already fixed the shifter and currently stripping it down. I'm having great fun! £70 worth of hours of entertainment. It might not be made of anything amazing but I think it looks pretty cool.

Cheers.
Debs

I may be a bit late to the party, but I'm 99% sure that the decal is real. Just bought a Peugeot 5000 that has the same Columbus Megatube sticker.
Now... This is what I managed to learn about this particular tubing:
"MEGATUBE
In 1994, to celebrate 110 years of Bianchi, Columbus made MEGATUBE solely for the Treviglio company. They claimed it was the first oversized tube for high performance, creating strong and light frames. Megatube has become one of the strong points of the Milanese company, with more than 14 different shapes".

This doesn't sound half bad. Does anyone here know how this tubing ended up on Peugeot bikes and how good or bad is it performing?
Google search is getting so much worse these days.

£70 sounds reasonable to me. Cro-Mo DB steel. Without probing deeper, looks like this was an Export mid/lower-range type model.

1707997579077.png

1707998061284.png

Thank you, Woz and hamster. This was faster than expected.
People here always manage to impress me with their cycling knowledge.
BTW. My Peugeot is the Performance 5000 in violet colour, like the one in this thread. :)

If you enjoy riding it that's what's most important.
Almost all of us couldn't work out the difference between 501 and 753 riding the bike in the dark. One of the nicest bikes I owned was an Elswick utility machine. It just felt right.
Agreed on that, doesn't matter if it's made of unobtanium fibre & XTR or gas pipe 'n' floor sweepings, if you love it either to ride or to look at and reminisce it's worth whatever it's worth to you.

Also, one of the bikes that sticks in my memory from childhood as being a smooth riding and fast machine that I'd grab if I found a good one? None other than my grandma's old Elswick Hopper!

It looks like a fake columbus decal to me. Certainly the frame is nothing special.

Well hang on. If it was 'special' then it would have cost more like £700. Not £70.
So maybe that's all he wanted to pay.

More/closer pics of the crankset + rear derailleur please
What is that Mavic? 🤔

Back