Raleigh gran course/competition 12 (panasonic conversion)

Marbo

Devout Dirtbag
I have just aquired a 1984 gran course/competition 12 frame set from another member. As it happens the same member I got my gemini ultegra from.

I am planning to swap all the parts over, as the Gemini is just to big and literally becomes a pain to ride after about 40m.

The frame needs a paint job, so the obvious choice is Panasonic. For now it will have an ultegra tricolour groupset.

Now for the question. If in the future I want to fit period componants what groupset should it be?

I have seen so many variations my head is pickled

Re: Raleigh gran course/competition 12

600ex looks good on those frames. And is period correct.

Yep 600ex is a good option as mentioned by Andy. Period and rides very well indeed

Thanks guys.

So it seems there's no particular set, just period 600 or equivalent.

nice bike btw what tyres are you using?

The white base coat is on the frame. I will pick up a can of white pearl tomorrow, then the blue on Tuesday. Finishing off with a clear coat.

Attachments

• IMG_20160515_182937.jpg
    IMG_20160515_182937.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 833
Re:

The washing line spray booth
We've all been there
Fun in the wind .... why is the greenhouse blue?

The clothes line works fine, unless your work needs to hold up to close scrutiny. And as much as I would like to have a finish like Maca's I can't justify the cost, as this is going to be an everyday ride.

Also new research shows that tomatoes grow better behind blue tinted glass.

Marbo":fa1xf5pu said:
The clothes line works fine, unless your work needs to hold up to close scrutiny. And as much as I would like to have a finish like Maca's I can't justify the cost, as this is going to be an everyday ride.

Also new research shows that tomatoes grow better behind blue tinted glass.

I'm using Hi-Lite tyres, was going to say when doing the blue try and get the line as close to where the red stripe is going to start. All the decals I have ever seen show the blue threw the red as they are not backed like the originals.

I'm using Hi-Lite tyres, was going to say when doing the blue try and get the line as close to where the red stripe is going to start. All the decals I have ever seen show the blue threw the red as they are not backed like the originals.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get my decals before I put the clear coat on, in case I need to change anything.

unfortunately I'm going to have to leave it flat white. My washing line booth is not ideal for an even pearl finish.

Back