Awwww s*** Harry Quinn going wrong... then being rescued...

LukeFRC

Dirt Disciple
so after last weeks headset shenanigans I've come a cropper again....

which I should have forsorn....

back story... finally admitted my Raleigh SPD frame too big for me, bought a Harry Quinn bike to use the frame, swapping parts over so I've got nice ergo levers for my gear change...

9 speed Campagnolo rear wheel fitted in the frame no problem at all...

forgot about the brake reach being different. My Campag Mirage brakes are no where near on the rear, and different fitting. close on the front.
There were Shimano RX100 brakes that were on the Quinn I could get the Front working but again the rear nowhere near.

:( Sad face.

Possible solutions:
- Find some longer reach brakes to replace my campag.
- Find some 27 inch wheels that will take my campag 9 speed cassette
- Give up on the Harry Quinn frame, sell it to someone who will appreciate its vintage quint-ness (eroica or whatever it's called) and try and find some other frame that fits and takes 700c wheels

mega annoyed - just want to ride!

Re: Awwww s*** Harry Quinn bike build going wrong... (again)

If the frame was designed for 27" wheels and not 700c / sprints then even if you get the longer drop brakes (presumably nutted) the bike looks all wrong with gaps all over. Only cosmetic I know but just looks wrong IMHO

Might have to bite the bullet and get a frame with clearance for 700c.......

Shaun

Midlife":245k0f1j said:
If the frame was designed for 27" wheels and not 700c / sprints then even if you get the longer drop brakes (presumably nutted) the bike looks all wrong with gaps all over. Only cosmetic I know but just looks wrong IMHO

Might have to bite the bullet and get a frame with clearance for 700c.......

Shaun

think that's going to have to be the plan. I've one and a bit bikes worth of bike parts I'm going to have to photograph and stick up for sale on here and Facebook tomorrow - I'm not really keen running 27 inch wheels and could easily drop a fair bit of $$ on brakes... when the answer is a different frame.
Are Harry Quinn frames particularly desirable?

Sad faces here - I just want to go out and ride the thing!

Fixed the headset though so thats a positive from today! :D

Harry Quinn frames with a genuine "Q number" made of a letter O and a letter L generally sell without problems. IIRC your is a *real* Quinn :)

As I mentioned It's pretty easy to sort the brake drop problem but 700c wheels on frames made for larger wheels or with generous mudguard clearance just don't look right.

Shaun

Midlife":37dzkbeq said:
Harry Quinn frames with a genuine "Q number" made of a letter O and a letter L generally sell without problems. IIRC your is a *real* Quinn :)

As I mentioned It's pretty easy to sort the brake drop problem but 700c wheels on frames made for larger wheels or with generous mudguard clearance just don't look right.

Shaun

Aye it's one of the "genuine" ones.
What do you think - rebuild all the parts... sell a bundle of parts or would people want just the frame?

A shame as its a lovely Harry Quinn.

Jamie

So a wee update on this....

I decided that sticking the bike up for sale and picking something else up would be the most cost effective/best route....
not suck it up for sale yet...

work up today, the weather's nice and I just wanted to get out....

So I ran to the garage and started bolting bits together - and stuck on all the old bits again. Except with my saddle.

And took it for a ride :D

First time I've ridden with downtube shifters.
First time I've ridden with friction shift

It's different experience but it's lots of fun :D
And - unlike the too-big-raleigh-special-products-division - I can get it up hills! :)
(lower gears probably help too!)

So that's happy - do you think she-who-must-be-obeyed will let me have 2 bikes?
:D

Yes, for sure. Though some dinner and a bit of sweet talking wouldn't go astray ;)
Down tube and friction shifters are best on the older machines, you'll soon get used to it and helps reinforce that unhurried relaxed ride feeling :)

Jamie

LukeFRC":28bl5kee said:
So a wee update on this....

I decided that sticking the bike up for sale and picking something else up would be the most cost effective/best route....
not suck it up for sale yet...

work up today, the weather's nice and I just wanted to get out....

So I ran to the garage and started bolting bits together - and stuck on all the old bits again. Except with my saddle.

And took it for a ride :D

First time I've ridden with downtube shifters.
First time I've ridden with friction shift

It's different experience but it's lots of fun :D
And - unlike the too-big-raleigh-special-products-division - I can get it up hills! :)
(lower gears probably help too!)

So that's happy - do you think she-who-must-be-obeyed will let me have 2 bikes?
:D

have a look t my Harry Quinn viewtopic.php?f=47&t=347557

Latest posts

Back