Bespoke Bristol

sisyphus

Retro Guru
Well I really enjoyed this event this year - especially Holdsworth( even if it is Planet X!) and Condor stands as well as a the smaller bicycle builders. Some interesting talks too.

Re:

I was there (briefly) on Thursday to help set up my son's stand and then back on Friday when it was packed.

There were some really lovely frames, one of which I seem to have bought...

I did feel that there were an awful lot of fancy paint jobs, that's always nice to see, but I'm really there to look at the frames. I loved the Malcolm single speed, it was there last year and is still stunning.

Im suspicious. Lovely paintwork can hide all sorts of things, like awkward details, only certain bits fitting etc. There are some new (and very inexperienced) builders out there, some will be good, others naieve at best, all charging very fancy prices, often way more than experts like rourke for example. Im not sure what a graphic designer does, but odd colours in wrong-rectangles in odd places (like the inside of forks where they cant be seen) must be part of it. I fancy a new frame made to fit me and encompassing all my quirks, but Im very dubious of anyone with a trendy astisan organic beard who hasnt been living bikes for a few years. Fancy website rings alarm bells, dirty old worskhop tells me people have been making things for some time. Pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Having said that, to my eye, the lady hartly seems to have the prettiest details on a bike, subtle but nice. Hope she manages to stay in business.

531brazed
If you want a bespoke frame I recommend Paulus Quiros now of Swansea. They have the skill, artistry and science to build whatever you require.

This is mine.

Re:

so hard to choose and decide, so many nice retro bikes out there, so much in my garage to cler out, Im still trying out different bikes to further devlop my ideas, however daft !

goes with the beards.
Who's ever seen a cyclist with a massive beard - blows all over his face, looks very funny, some have so much growth their eyes get obstructed. Darwin was right, natural selection ;)

Back