Colnago master / best road frameset ever ???

jalfk

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

What is the best classic mid 80s-90s height of technology steel frameset in terms of stiffness, weight and feel? It must not be so rare or expensive that I cannot buy it, for example, I can find a few colnago master framesets on ebay for 700€ - 900€. My friend has a master and it is extremely good.

Does anything beat the Master which is potentially less well known and less expensive, or is the master actually the best steel frameset ever made with hopeful second hand availability?

I have a mid 80s battaglin which is fast, not too heavy and moderately stiff but has had an accident and pulls to the right so I want to now buy the BEST frame I can get my hands on without going mental. IE 700-800€ for a second hand frameset is probably enough $$$$.

Well you may ask what frames were being used in the late 80s and early 90s if your looking for a clue ...

Tour de France General classification victories for Pinarello.

Pedro Delgado (198:cool:
Miguel Indurain (1991–1995)

Re:

That might have more to do with what the Reynolds/Banesto team were using and their dominant tour riders. Mapei were the top team in the world, Superconfex the best sprinters (J-PvP), and there was the dominance of the Mapei boys in 1 day races. I suspect overall, the Master won more races than the Pinarello, but the Pinarello more Tours (Rominger the only person to win a Big Tour on a 'Nago?)

Mind you, factoring in all of the '80s, you need to also consider Gitanes / Raleighs into the mix.

Also, a number of the Pinarello TdF wins, were rebadged bikes - including Delgado's '88 win (TVT) and 2 of Big Mig's (Pegoretti)

Re:

Many of the bikes that won the TDF were custom and some even rebadged. So similar frames commercially available at the time, to those which appeared to be in the TDF, were often not the same thing at all.

Indurain for example did not ride actual Pinarellos - they were rebadged.

I think there is quite a bit of BS kicking around over rebadge bikes although of course it happened

Bottom line is there is no shortage of good steel frames from the 80s and nothing much to suggest any are significantly better to the likes of us in terms of performance so buy what does it for you.

Re: Re:

BigFoz":2zdrbv0n said:
That might have more to do with what the Reynolds/Banesto team were using and their dominant tour riders. Mapei were the top team in the world, Superconfex the best sprinters (J-PvP), and there was the dominance of the Mapei boys in 1 day races. I suspect overall, the Master won more races than the Pinarello, but the Pinarello more Tours (Rominger the only person to win a Big Tour on a 'Nago?)

Mind you, factoring in all of the '80s, you need to also consider Gitanes / Raleighs into the mix.

Also, a number of the Pinarello TdF wins, were rebadged bikes - including Delgado's '88 win (TVT) and 2 of Big Mig's (Pegoretti)

ha ha - just saw your post after I posted.

To reiterate my question... I'm actually looking to BUY a frameset so this isn't a TDF winner geek-off, rather I'm asking for people's personal experiences with specific extremely excellent frames which aren't too rare which might be better, or similar but less expensive in quality to the Master. However it must not be some pro level rare rebadged non-commerical prototype. I want to actually buy a new frame ASAP.

Thanks for the help

Re:

I've had both Pinarello (Montello steel) and Colnago (SuperPiu, Master, CT2).

They may not be comparable models - not sure the Montello was top of the range, the Master was originally, and was a much nicer ride. Stiff yet comfy. Would never have sold it bar the fact it was a size too small and I couldn't quite get settled on it.

The Master is still in Production, 30 years later. I think that tells you how good it was/is.

Re:

:LOL:

I dare say, if you were to buy any steel nos frameset with good tubing, in your size, you wouldn't be disappointed.
I hankered after a Master for a while. Why? Because of the racing success in the pro ranks. So not as a result of unbelievable handling,weight or anything other than egomaina if I'm honest.
Gave up on it, got a Bianchi instead, happy with that.

Good luck with your search, whatever you decide ;)

Mike

Back