Bar end shifter question ?

argonsixar

Retro Guru
Using Shimano bar end shifters on Campagnolo drive train ?

I am building up an old TT bike and Campag 10 speed bar end shifters are snapped up as soon as they get advertised. New ones are pushing £130 so not keen.

It looks like Shimano levers are a lot more common, but not sure how compatible they are.

Look at the Shimergo pages on the CTC website. Campag mechs require more cable pull than Shimano so I think you may struggle - you simply run out of movement. Campag 10 pulls the same cable per click as Shimano 8.

A solution would be to use a JTek Shiftmate, which works to adapt the calbe pull at the rear mech like a Travel Agent on brakes.

Re:

I asked the same question a few weeks ago on the CTC forum and got the same answer.
I had a complete Campag kitted road bike but wanted bar ends. Like you I thought that the price was silly. I dropped upon some TT bars etc with 9 speed Shimano bar end shifters for bugger all.
My wheel is a 10 speed Record hub with 10 speed cassette. I just fitted the levers to the bike, decided that the Campag mech wouldn't work well, using the attached link to help
http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-beh ... atibility/

and then shoved on a 1980's Suntour ARX rear mech. It indexes what else could I want?
I have acquired an old Dura ace mech now but I am not sure that it will be any better.
I would prfer to find some 9 or 10 speed Campag bar end shifters but doubt I will some how.

Back